Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Solitude - in Black & White

Real Name
    Andrew

Solitude - in Black & White

Just playing with some lighting. I wanted the high-key look to blur the distinction between negative space and subject. I think it adds to the isolation, and 'solitude' scheme. I chose the domino with only one spot to further accentuate that feeling - do you think it's too cliche? Do you like it at all?

Solitude - in Black & White

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Solitude - in Black & White

I like your photo. I can imagine a series of these photos with the domino positioned in different locations to give the domino a sense of movement.

Karm

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Karm, that's an interesting idea.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    .... do you think it's too cliche? Do you like it at all?
    'No' and 'Yes' in that order.

I think it would be interesting to work on precise location for the object. My first reaction was that it felt a bit low, or right, or both. But that is a totally subjective reaction.

To develop Karm's idea, a series using different dominoes - Either the 1:1 or the Blank/2 next and build it up from there?

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks for the reply Donald. I like your idea for the progression of the series. It was not the original direction I was taking, but it just may work.

As for the position, I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. Here's what I've done, and I wonder exactly how it affects the atmosphere of the image: The 'single dot' is EXACTLY at the intersection of the bottom and right-most quadrants, if the image was split into 9 sections, given the 4:5 perspective ratio.

Thanks again for viewing and taking the time to comment.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I wonder if you could develop a series of images in which the domino becomes personified and takes on a personality, much as Donald's golf bags do. You could eventually work into the series another domino or two to develop a relationship between them, such as having one standing up and towering over one and keeping a watchful eye on one that is lying down and/or in the opposite corner of the image.

Getting back to your original concept, I wonder if it helps you to know that I saw the image as a play on lines and the dot, which is the only circular element, helps emphasize that. The perimeter of the image takes on special meaning because the four sides themselves are strong lines, thanks mostly to the vast amount of negative space. A creative concept executed very well!

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Mike. I have to say, I'm impressed at the creativity this image has spurred with everyone who has taken time to comment! Everyone has had some pretty good ideas, and to think, it's all come from a single domino, on a white background - no colour even for that matter.

I like what you have seen in my photo - it helps me to understand imagery better. I am taking a 'simplistic' approach to composition (well, as of last week), as I personally like the look better, and find photos with too much, just to be 'too much'.

Thanks for your kind words - they're very confidence-boosting!

Andrew, I like the way that the single spot is upward: it captures the tension between falling and standing that defines a domino; and it wouldn't have worked as well if the spot were on the bottom.

To my eye, it would be better if the shadows the domino casts were contained inside the image, to keep the viewer's attention with the image. But I really like the dual shadows, and the first thing that comes to my mind is: what about a bunch of shadows, of increasing density and shifting orientation, that suggest the dynamic of a domino falling?

I'm thinking, shorter/lighter to longer/darker.
    Last edited by John Morton; 29th August 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by John Morton View Post
    Andrew, I like the way that the single spot is upward: it captures the tension between falling and standing that defines a domino; and it wouldn't have worked as well if the spot were on the bottom.
    Alone, and unbalanced. What a sad situation, lucky it's just a domino!! Thanks for the critique John, I respect your opinion. And, I really like your idea about the shadows. It would kind of take my idea to a whole different level, without changing the original premiss.

Thanks again!