Thread: Sunrise

Real Name
    Andy

Sunrise C&C please

My first attempt at a sunrise, comments welcome, I got up at 05:00 to try this out.

I had about a 10 minute window before the mist you can already see covered the rising sun. I do like the colours I managed to capture in that short window.

I realise a few of the mistakes I made, but feel free to point any out, its all part of the learning curve of being a newbie.

1/40 F/11 ISO 1600.

Thanks Andy

Sunrise
    19.08.2012 by andy_mendip, on Flickr
    Last edited by Andy in Mendip; 25th August 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Re: Sunrise C&C please

Hi Andy!

I really like your photo, the colors are beautiful (this just shows how great our camera is ) and I also like the converging compisition. I have a feeling (maybe I'm mistaken?) that the picture is little bit tilted. Other than that, well done, and I'm amazed by your ability to get up at 5am.

Your photo inspired me to also post something here, coming soon.

Irina

Real Name
    Gretchen

5am? Better you than me!!! I agree it is tilted, other than that it is a beautful photo!

Real Name
    Andy

Hi Irina,
    Thank you, I moved the tripod after getting it level, the reason was, I saw the better shot with the lines, as it was at the start of those 10 minutes and in the middle of a very quiet road on a bridge, I did not check the levels on the tripod again. a lesson learnt !
    Andy

Real Name
    Andy

Thank you Gretchen,
    I have explained how I missed it in Irina's reply. also thank you for your nice comments. it makes it worth getting up at 5am on a Sunday morning worthwhile !

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in Mendip View Post
    I moved the tripod after getting it level
    Yes, it happens to me too, my advise is to rotate the image later is post-processing. It doesn't bother me that much in this particular image, but it can be worse next time it happens.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Yes a little tilted and for me the sky a little overexposed which happens when doing sun rises an sun settings. I found using a circular polarizer filter helps with this but that's just me. Over all nice shot.

Real Name
    Kevin

Excellent shot, Andy

You might get a bit more of that wonderful color in the sky by pulling a very mild gradient down to the upper edge of the darkening purple- would leave your mist still prominent but enhance the color and contrast in the upper sky. If it doesnt help- then leave it be as it works well as is.

Kevin

Real Name
    Andy

Thank you Paul & Kevin, filters are the top of my list of essential items, as I prefer landscape photos I believe they are a must have.

Real Name
    Kevin

Andy,

I didnt make my self very clear, my apologies for expecting you to read my mind. Although an on-camera graduated ND filter would certainly have helped, I was referring to a post-processing gradient application that might substitute quite nicely in this case. Were I at home I'd have a go at it in Lightroom or Photoshop, but I'm out of town. If no one else gives it a shot I'll try to tomorrow morning (my time- dont know where you are); or if you're already familiar with it I'll just be quiet

Kevin

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Andy here your photo again after Lightroom and with what Kevin is talking about or there about since I'm still a bit of a noob when using Lightroom. I added a layer to sky and darken it some and added a bit of color. But I still find using a circular polarizer filter for shots like this to help and keeps me from so much pp.

Sunrise
    Last edited by Melkus; 26th August 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Real Name
    Andy

Kevin,

Thank you for your comment, I have very little knowledge of pp, another area to learn which can only add to the final image.

Andy

Real Name
    Andy

Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to pp my image, it has helped me understand what Kevin was explaining. I mentioned in previous replies about filters I have yet to purchase. I can now see the benefits of using a filter, then a little pp work later.

This is the exact reason I joined CIC in the first place, to widen my knowledge and skills with the help of the other members.

Andy