Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How often do you keep your camera on you?

Real Name
    Daniel

How often do you keep your camera on you?

Do many of you guys and gals keep you camera in our vehicle or with you on a daily basis? If so what set up do you keep for an everyday kind of camera?

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: How often do you keep your camera on you?

My only camera right now (newbie mickey mouse point and shoot) is a Sony Cybershot. It is small enough that I take it everywhere. It has a designated pocket in my purse.

Real Name
    Jim

I almost always have a camera with me.I usually have my 5DII and a 24-105.I also carry a Canon S100.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The camera and lenses travel with me in the truck to and from work. However they mainly get used on planned occasions rather than on the spur of the moment. Force of habit really to carry the gear. Sometimes I feel it would be better not to have it. Can be frustrating to have to hurry on and avert my eyes from a great photographic opportunity because I am late for work or on my way in for an emergency.

Real Name
    Cheri

Unfortunately, I do not carry my camera with me all the time and I have missed out on some great shots. I do have my iPhone but it does not have the great quality and options my Nikon camera does. I do have a Panasonic Lumix camera which takes great shots and is lighter than the other Nikon camera I have and also allows to adjust the settings in manual mode.

Real Name
    Jeff

I only carry my camera gear when I am planning a shoot. The only camera on me all the time is my iPhone (and I don't use that very often). On the other hand, I usually put a shoot together once or twice each week.

I tend to carry mine all the time (5DIII), usually with a 40mm pancake lens. The only time I don't is when I have a lot of images to process (such as post holiday) as I don't want to pile even more work on by taking yet more shots.

Real Name
    Virginia

Since I'm not inclined to photograph under stress, because I find I don't get very high quality images, I generally don't take a serious camera with me. If I think there might be something of random interest at an event, I'll depend on my phone (rarely) or on a Sony V-90 PnS for snapshot-like images. The really good images I got during a trip where I used the V-90 is what caused me to get back into SLR-land and to get my alpha700. You've never lived until you've been in a limestone, late 19th century-style, sausage packing operation and taken a picture of a guy smashing a blood sausage! ;~)

IJS....

v

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Daniel,
    If you are going to get that once in a lifetime shot you will have to have a camera with you all the time. Not always convenient and you have to be careful like a lady with a hand bag.
    A rule of thumb in photography "wear your camera".

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Almost always; although my Blackberry has a (rubbish) auto-only camera, I carry a Canon S100 (like Jim B); it shoots RAW, has a good lens, manual control and is very pocketable.

Apart from 'distant subject' shots (lens only goes to 120mm equivalent) or ones requiring a narrow DoF, there is really no excuse to not get DSLR quality shots from it!

Real Name
    Richard

Not at all often enough!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Danimal View Post
    Do many of you guys and gals keep you camera in our vehicle or with you on a daily basis? If so what set up do you keep for an everyday kind of camera?
    I bought a Konica/Minolta Bridge to keep in the car (it fitted snugly into the glove compartment), but my eldest daughter 'borrowed' it to take on holiday a few years ago and I haven't seen it since. Not wanting to invest large sums any more, I bought a Canon IXUS 65 which my youngest daughter borrowed for the same purpose. Then I bought a IXUS 105 which my wife has borrowed.
    I'm now pondering who else is likely to want to borrow a camera before I splash out on yet another!

Real Name
    James

My Nikon goes almost everywhere with me - if I am just running to the store it stays home, but it is part of my gear that goes in my truck every morning. And, I have to say, I have gotten some great shots that I would have missed if I had not had it with me. It does get cumbersome at times, and I have seriously thought about getting a cool pix or something just to carry around in my pocket, but have not found anything that sounds like it would be worth the money. I would rather take that money and put it toward another lens or ball head, or tripod, or...