Thread: Shutter Priority & Aperture Priority

Shutter Priority & Aperture Priority

Hi!
    will anybody like to describe me the use of Shutter Priority Auto & Aperture Priority Auto modes of a camera?
    Last edited by Joy; 25th August 2009 at 06:29 AM.

Re: Shutter Priority & Aperture Priority

You should read the Tutorials on the main page. they are very helpful..

thanks kevin.

actually i'm reading those but those r taking a good amount of time to grasp the idea.
    Last edited by Joy; 25th August 2009 at 06:29 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joy,

Basically, for some subjects, you'll want to set the the aperture so you know it won't move, e.g. say for a close up of a flower, you want to set f11 or f16, you don't particularly care what the shutter speed is (within reason), because you want to guarantee a certain depth of field. So you prioritise the Aperture and the Auto bit varies the shutter speed to get the correct exposure.

For example (actually the opposite to above - I wanted a narrow DoF) 1/800s at f4.9, ISO200

For other subjects, say sports of most kinds; you will want to set a specific shutter speed, say 1/100s for panning shots of cyclists and let the camera vary the aperture under Auto control to get the correct exposure, safe in the knowledge you will get a nice blurred background.

For example: 1/100s at f4, ISO400

Hope that helps,

thanks Dave.

got it.
    Last edited by Joy; 25th August 2009 at 06:30 AM.

Just a word of warning, Joy, when using Av (Aperture) or Tv (Shutter Speed) settings, keep an eye on the other settings.

For instance, it is easy to just worry about depth of field and end up with a low shutter speed which causes camera shake or to get the shutter speed correct and end up with too shallow a depth of field.

You may have to slightly adjust your ISO to get a good balance between the two.

It would be really handy if people would put at least their camera brand in their signature, so one could determine if ones comments were relevant.

In the case of Nikon re aperture and shutter control. Auto iso is a very handy feature particularly on the D90 which handles the higher iso's quite well.

For example, when shooting sports action it is desirable to have a higher shutter speed to freeze action, but quite often you wish to isolate the background with a large aperture. Now quite often the lighting conditions won't co-operate, and this is where Auto iso comes in.
    In a particular situation I will shoot in aperture control, set the aperture to what I want, then set the minimum shutter speed in auto iso. This means that I will always have the aperture that I want, plus the shutter speed that I want, the only thing that may change is the iso.

Lots of good info here and elsewhere. I wrote a blog entry, http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=129, on this topic a while back. Check it out and see it helps. If you find the introductory wording a bit daunting, jump down to the sample images and the accompanying explanations and see if they help.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Just a word of warning, Joy, when using Av (Aperture) or Tv (Shutter Speed) settings, keep an eye on the other settings.

For instance, it is easy to just worry about depth of field and end up with a low shutter speed which causes camera shake or to get the shutter speed correct and end up with too shallow a depth of field.

You may have to slightly adjust your ISO to get a good balance between the two.
    thanks Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    It would be really handy if people would put at least their camera brand in their signature, so one could determine if ones comments were relevant.

In the case of Nikon re aperture and shutter control. Auto iso is a very handy feature particularly on the D90 which handles the higher iso's quite well.

For example, when shooting sports action it is desirable to have a higher shutter speed to freeze action, but quite often you wish to isolate the background with a large aperture. Now quite often the lighting conditions won't co-operate, and this is where Auto iso comes in.
    In a particular situation I will shoot in aperture control, set the aperture to what I want, then set the minimum shutter speed in auto iso. This means that I will always have the aperture that I want, plus the shutter speed that I want, the only thing that may change is the iso.

thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by eNo View Post
    Lots of good info here and elsewhere. I wrote a blog entry, http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=129, on this topic a while back. Check it out and see it helps. If you find the introductory wording a bit daunting, jump down to the sample images and the accompanying explanations and see if they help.
    thanks eNo for such a beautiful information & clarification.
    Last edited by Joy; 25th August 2009 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Hi!
    will anybody like to describe me the use of Shutter Priority Auto & Aperture Priority Auto modes of a camera?
    Certainly...

Shutter priority (TV) = "Time is important to me so I'm a shallow person"

Aperture priority (AV) = "I can be deep, and I have no interest in how long it takes"

thanks carregwen for such a beautiful explanation.