Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sun-sniper camera straps

Real Name
    Pete

Sun-sniper camera straps

has anyone had any experience of using the Sun-sniper Steel and Sun-Sniper the Pro Steel & Bear camera straps?

They are meant to make a dSLR much lighter to carry.... one of my concern is they connect using the camera's tripod mount and I wondered how secure this is..... (I've seen telescope's come lose from tripods)

I guess I'm asking about the Black Rapid RS-7 as well.

any other recommendations most weclome

many thanks

Pete

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Sun-sniper camera straps

My wife used this type of connection on a camera strap and it never came close to coming loose including hiking in the mountains. However, she didn't like the physical discomfort that the camera is hung from one point (the screw mount) as opposed to being a bit more stable when being hung from two points (the latches on both sides of the camera).
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th August 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    I'm asking about the Black Rapid RS-7 as well.
    I don't use the Sun-Sniper. I do use the Black Rapid RS-7 any time I'm carrying only one camera for well over a year now and haven't had any issues. For me it's the most effective way to carry a single camera. When I am carrying the heaver Nikon with the 300mm zoom lens I am attaching the strap to the d-ring on the tripod mount so that I can easily mount the camera on the tripod as needed. I check the connections every time I change them but have never had a problem. On the other hand, I'm not one to scale cliff faces while carrying a heavy camera.

When I carry two cameras I switch over to the Op/Tech Dual Harness. This is probably the best way I've found to rapidly switch between cameras. The Dual Harness can also effectively carry a single camera if you favor a two-point attachment.

Real Name
    Andrew

The straps you are looking at may allow quick access to a dangling camera but they are still a shoulder strap load. Your post indicated you are looking for something that makes it much lighter to carry which means you have to spread the load. Wider straps or extra padding making it more comfortable will help but the load stays the same. Perhaps something like the http://www.cottoncarrier.com/ would be more appropriate. I'm sure there are others around but these systems spread the load to multiple contact points to eliminate the stress on single areas. Even just spreading the load onto the hips with their belt would be an improvement.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 19th August 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Real Name
    Pete

many thanks guys.

I'm using the bog standard camera strap that came with the D300 and I'm just looking for something to "lighten the load"

Real Name
    Jim

I have been using the BR RS-7 for awhile and have not had any issues.
    I just started using this strap:
    http://www.luma-labs.com/products/cinch
    Very nice.

Real Name
    Miltos

I use the sun sniper Pro and I am very pleased with it. Its ball bearing and rubber O-ring secure the camera perfectly. I think it is almost imposible to damage your equipement once you tight it properly in the first place, under regular condition at least. The only issue is to be carefull not to lose the O-ring when you remove the strap from your camera.

Try searching the product in youtube, there are plenty reviews to see.

I too have been looking at a different strap and came across this one
    http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch
    I have never used it so it will be up to someone that has one to speak up.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    I too have been looking at a different strap and came across this one
    http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch
    I have never used it so it will be up to someone that has one to speak up.
    That looks very interesting Carl - I'm still using the supplied camera 'neck breaker' strap, so would be interested.

These two attachment points look better than the alternatives I have seen. Their website seems to say 'pay now and get it in 2-3 weeks', which is a bit of a shame.

Thanks for sharing,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    That looks very interesting Carl - I'm still using the supplied camera 'neck breaker' strap, so would be interested.

These two attachment points look better than the alternatives I have seen. Their website seems to say 'pay now and get it in 2-3 weeks', which is a bit of a shame.

Thanks for sharing,
    Your Welcome Dave,
    Yea, I liked it for the same reason, two point connection. They seem to be a small company so I assume that is why it takes so long. I have found though that good things at times takes a little longer to come by. My camera and lenses are getting to be a real pain in the neck with the supplied strap also. I read somewhere that they are looking at making one that does not use the tripod connection plus I like the way it pulls the camera and lens up close to the body when not in use and moves out at what seems to be real easy operation.

Real Name
    J stands for John

If you want to lighten the load you get a smaller camera in the first place because the smaller camera such as M4/3 has smaller glass and the glass is where the weight is. M4/3 is only 50% of the APS-C sensor but in most cases gives the required IQ. Sadly something the vendors of DSLRs seem loath to warn their customers about.

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    If you want to lighten the load you get a smaller camera in the first place because the smaller camera such as M4/3 has smaller glass and the glass is where the weight is. M4/3 is only 50% of the APS-C sensor but in most cases gives the required IQ. Sadly something the vendors of DSLRs seem loath to warn their customers about.
    I have a m4/3 camera and like it. However for wildlife....... ? nope. the continuous autofocus issn't there

Ho hum... always a little slow... got 'round to reviewing third party slip straps (oem neck straps? so C20 my dears...) and chose the sun sniper compact steel & bear for m9/f1 - a good fix.

One reservation; all compact marketing pics indicate a velcro detachable shoulder pad, mine came with a non removable (cost cutting?) pad - so if this feature is required, be advised, happy snapping, fw.

Real Name
    Grant

I bought a Black Rapid Sport strap a few weeks ago and used it for the first time on a 4 hour shoot, today. It is very comfortable and you don't have that headache producing dead weight dangling off your neck. You can also sling the camera around your back and both hands are then free if you need to grab onto anything for support. Only problem is that it fits to the camera via a special fitting that screws into the tripod mount screw into which you insert a carabiner. This is a hassle if you want to tripod mount your camera as you have to unscrew the fitting and then screw in your tripod mount. Fortunately I have a Vanguard tripod that comes with a mount that has ring in the mounting screw into which the carabiner will fit. Remaining worry was what happens if the screw comes adrift. I imagine there would be a frightening crashing noise and have visions of expensive camera tumbling off the edge of the cliff. I solved this worry with my wife's purse wrist strap that neatly clips onto the old camera strap holder and back into the carabiner, providing a fail-safe backup.

Grant

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Just be aware that this thread is almost 2 years old now folks.

Grant - many thanks for that, the back-up wrist-strap is shrewd… I will follow your lead. Always been a belts 'n braces, double redundancy type, got me this far. Colin lurrve resuscitating old threads... which are still relevant, krgds, fw.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

You all will find a time in your life, as I have, that you flat don't carry your camera anyplace...you're too old and it's too heavy.

Wm, I've had a little time to reflect on life… Here's hoping you re-kindle your passion to carry your camera; I certainly can't wait to be walking on two legs again, taking snaps on a city break, krgds, fw
    Last edited by frankwaller; 16th June 2014 at 09:11 AM.