Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Neighborhood friends

Real Name
    Kevin

Neighborhood friends

Last weekend I had a very overcast and drizzly morning to play in, so I took a walk about my cabin, and tried to shoot a few things I normally pay little attention to. I can identify nothing in these pics, but would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions in case I try it again Thanks for viewing

Neighborhood friends

Neighborhood friends

Neighborhood friends

Neighborhood friends

Neighborhood friends

Real Name
    Louise

Re: Neighborhood friends

While the leaves may be an extra early sing of the fall season, the flowers reminds us that it is still summer. In close up staged pictures, it is recommended to remouve all that can be distracting to the subject like in #1-2-3, the twigs and needles as it is so much easier to do it on location than to photoshop it. I like the colours of your flowers and the water droplets are interesting, are these the only camera angle shots? The focus in #4 is very narrow and a perpendicular angle to the flower may have showned more of the flower in focus. I hope these were the kind of comments you were looking for. As a newby I am still sharpening my powers of observation and finding the right technical words for a critique. I commend you on going out when the grounds are still wet and finding such pretty subjects.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Your vision is certainly improving Kevin!

Photographers of this kind of image often carry a pair of tweezers and a soft artist brush for the very purpose of 'cleaning up' a scene like this before they shoot. Like any other technique, we need to learn when to stop the 'cleaning up' process before we loose the natural look of the scene.

Each of these images makes use of several shooting techniques that make images compelling to view. Nice!

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you, Louise and Frank for your encouragement and valid observations. Having not shot this type of subjects before, I didnt really consider "cleaning up my space" as it was a natural environment, and neglected the wise adage "Whatever doesn't add, detracts". I'll be more mindful next time, and might just do a little post-processing to get it a little closer to where it should be. Am trying to do more in front of the camera, and less in front of the monitor, but not there yet.