Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help recovering a flash memory card!

Real Name
    James

Help recovering a flash memory card!

So I’ve just experienced my first flash card malfunction since getting my DSLR and after much Googling to find a way of recovering my images I’ve had no luck.

The card (8GB Transcend ,compact flash) was working fine, I put it into a (cheap) card reader to download the images but the computer didn’t acknowledged the connection. I tried again and nothing. Put it back in the camera (Canon 40D) and could still see the images on there so tried again direct from camera. Didn’t work, so back into the camera, however this time the camera now says ‘card not formatted’ – ‘no images’….arrr!!!
    I’m partially interested how they got lost in that process but more keen to recover them...

I’d read before that when this happens just stop and don’t use the card anymore – I did this. I did not reformat the card. I have since connected via the same card reader to my PC and using “PC Inspector File Recovery” and “Zero Assumption Recovery” have tried to recover the images but with no luck.

The first programme didn’t ‘see’ anything and the second sees data but can’t recover due to an error after scanning. I read that these recover FAT formatted cards and mine says it’s RAW – problem?! (Not too familiar with this stuff!)

I have shot mostly in RAW but there are a few JPG images on there too. Can anyone recommend a programme they use successfully (preferably freeware) and maybe shed some light on my problem?
    If I can’t recover it where is best to go for professional help?

Thanks

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Re: Help recovering a flash memory card!

I buy SANDISK cards and they provide a file recovery software (which I'm lucky enough never to have had to use) but a quick check on their site shows that it's free.

Here's the link

Hope this is of some use to you.

Edit: I'm really sorry but it seems it's just a demo version -s*** - I'll see if I can find something else
    Last edited by darkslide; 17th August 2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: 'Cos I can't read...

Real Name
    Blake

Damn, I had a gift code for 3 months of use with their software, I'll let you know if I find it.

DO NOT format the card. Hope is not lost!

Real Name
    James

ha, nor worries Ian, thanks anyway.

Real Name
    Bill S

I have used http://www.pandorarecovery.com/ with success in the past. It works very well.

Good luck!

- Bill

Real Name
    Peter

you might try Recuva, from Priform;

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

I've used the Sandisk rcovery SW a couple of times and for me it has worked very well. Including a time I did format the card in the camera.....and then used the software to recover the files prior to taking any more pictures. If you cannot find a program I suggest buying a Sandisk card for that SW. If not, get in touch with me as I have a couple of the disk programs from cards I've purchased. Just do not use the card until you get a chance to recover them. Also, a local computer store here in Phoenix, AZ USA does data recovery for a small fee, maybe a store in your areas does also.

Real Name
    Dave

I've not used it myself but Recuva (mentioned above) seems to be well liked.

You mentioned FAT formatted cards. This is not a problem. FAT (File Allocation Table) formatting refers to how data is organised and stored on card/drive/other media, not the format of the data itself. So a program that can read FAT formatted cards should be able to recover any file, irrespective of its format, on the card.

Hope you get the photos back.

Dave

Real Name
    Robin

I'm not back at work until Monday but if you haven't sorted the problem PM me (I'll pick up the email notification) and I'll PM you a code back to activate the Sandisk Recovery Pro software.

Robin

Losing all your important photos and video files from memory card can be very terrible experience. But, now you don’t have to worry as today there is an option like Kernel for Windows data recovery tool that has got the ability to retrieve deleted, corrupted or formatted photos and video files from memory cards instantly. The best highlight about this tool is it performs READ-ONLY operation and doesn't delete data on the card. For more info visit http://www.camerarecovery.org

If Recuva can't help you then you are in real trouble:
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Ken

Real Name
    James

Woohoo - Sorted!
    Brought a new card reader which came today and used recuva. Had to do a 'deep' search but it found everything perfectly.

Moral of the story - don't buy or use a cheap card reader!! Could see a small burn mark on the circuitry so something went drastically wrong!

Cheers to black pearl for your kind offer. Thanks everyone else for all your suggestions. Have to say I've never been more excited to see all my pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
    Woohoo - Sorted! ... used recuva.
    Excellent news!

Ken
    PS the only time I've not had any success with Recuva was on a SD card where there was was a physical fault with the card

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbadpit View Post
    You can recover photo files, videos, music etc from the flash memory card using a data recovery software. For more information visit the following URL
    Maybe so but why would anyone want to pay money for such software when Piriform's Recuva does exactly the same job and is completely FREE, as in no money required, no spam, no junk, etc. It just works.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by spearsjacob View Post
    Hi,

Don't worry you can easily recover file by using memory card recovery tool. When i faced such situation my uncle suggest me this tool. With the help of this tool i was able to recover all my crucial files. This tool tool is the best way to recover files from memory card. To know how just go through the software, try its demo version if the results are satisfactory for you then you can download its full version.
    Sorry but NO that tool is NOT the best way to recover stuff, it smells of spam.

Ken

Real Name
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Sorry but NO that tool is NOT the best way to recover stuff, it smells of spam.

Ken
    I don't want to be rude, but can it be that his/her complete message is intended to advertise for free?

To be back on subject, as mentioned before the Sandisk Recovery SW is for free and works very well also with "non"-Sandisk cards

Real Name
    Remco

I reported it as spam/advertisement to the moderators
    (use the small 'danger' triangle at lower left of the post concerned to do that)

Real Name
    Hans

Thanks for the tip Remco, I wasn't aware of this option.
    Good you took care.

Hello guys,

Why you people leave the best way to perform the recovery of lost data with the help of a backup file. I know using a third program is worth but in case only if you don't have a backup or if the backup file is denying to perform the restore of lost data unfortunately. here is an article which discussing about the easiest moves to perform the recovery including both methods..

Source: http://trash.macbookdatarecovery.net

Hey, here is a good news for you all.......now it is possible to recover your valuable pictures from damaged and corrupted memory card in its original file format. This effective software is very easy to install and provide very interactive user interface.
    Read More: http://memory-cardrecovery.jpeg-recovery.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast