Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Same roses -- completely different setting

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Same roses -- completely different setting

These are the same roses that my friends brought to last night's dinner shown in my other thread. When my wife set the table for tonight's dinner, I really liked the effect. So what does a loving husband do when he has joined his wife for a candlelight dinner with wine and roses? Naturally, I ate unusually quickly, got the tripod, camera, light stand, diffuser, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff just in case I would need it -- and prayed the tiny candles wouldn't go out before I was done.

C&C encouraged, as always.

Same roses -- completely different setting
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 13th August 2012 at 05:02 AM.

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Same roses -- completely different setting

Mike, of the two photos, I like this one the best because it tells a story. Although the story in my head doesn't have the husband rushing through dinner and spending the rest of the evening on photography!

This is beautiful!

Real Name
    Sharon

You are a romantic soul Mike.

I really like the natural context and the warm atmosphere to this but the flowers are struggling to compete for attention. The square vase allows lots of the leaves to show and the roses themselves seem pushed back.

I feel ( purely personally) that a pared down composition with a few choice blooms and less to distract the eye would have a much greater impact...what do you reckon?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Naturally, I ate unusually quickly, got the tripod, camera, light stand, diffuser, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff
    Of course. Is there any alternative action that could have reasonably been considered?

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Of course. Is there any alternative action that could have reasonably been considered?
    I was going to say 'men' but I have been known to leap up and take a shot of the meal so I have no room to talk.

Though the distractions were far greater before I postprocessed the image, I completely agree with Sharon that an image that provides even less to distract the eye would be better. I may or may not get a chance to do that while these flowers are still fresh.

Now, to set the record straight about my supposed lack of romanticism...

I prepare the evening dinner every night of the week, which is very carefully paired with wine; I usually select the wine and pair the food rather than the other way around. We always have a candlelight dinner with either soft jazz or classical music in the background.

The dinner the night before I made this picture was special because we had friends over. It began with warm bruschetta of herbed mushrooms and goat cheese paired with Volnay pinot noir. The Ceasar's salad (with homemade croutons) and the rabbit stuffed with brie and herbs and wrapped in a puff pastry were paired with Meursault. Dessert was homemade macaroons, the plain ones dipped in chocolate and the others flavored with cardamom.

To explain the wine selection, the purpose of this particular dinner was to feature wines fancied by Thomas Jefferson. Volnay was a favorite of his because it shipped well. Meursault from the Goute d'Or vineyard was his favorite white Burgundy because it was almost as good as the best but at a less expensive price. He actually visited vineyards in Volnay and Meursault, including the Goutte d'Or vineyard.

Next?!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 13th August 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

That's not romance...that's showing off!

All sounds lovely Mike, nice wine choices and menu... but I would have to pass on the goats cheese. lol

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It began with warm bruschetta of herbed mushrooms and goat cheese paired with Volnay pinot noir. The Ceasar's salad (with homemade croutons) and the rabbit stuffed with brie and herbs and wrapped in a puff pastry were paired with Meursault. Dessert was homemade macaroons, the plain ones dipped in chocolate and the others flavored with cardamom.
    I'll send you my address via PM so that you can send on my invitation for the next dinner party.

Good pairings.

You're always welcome to join us, Donald. By the way, the Volnay is the best pinot noir that I've ever had. Fortunately, I've got three more bottles that will be drunk only at very special occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    That's not romance...that's showing off!
    The dinner was romantic. It was my post describing it that was showing off.