Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cropping suggestions needed

Cropping suggestions needed

I took this picture at Cape Arago on the Oregon coast. I used a Tokina 11-16mm. It needs to be cropped... I don't want to lose the beach on the left hand side, as you can see I already cut it pretty close, or the trees on the right hand side, I feel that some of the sky and the foreground grass needs to be cropped out... but don't want to end up with a really odd shaped photo.. as I probably will be printing this out for DH and his sister. Thank you for looking.
    Original

My attempt at cropping

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: Cropping suggestions needed

Trina I think you did a good crop of your photograph.
    However, I think you could improve not only giving a better/another treatment to it but also being careful (more careful) when taking the picture on location.
    Let me drop a few lines about this last aspect to begin with.
    I like panoramas or landscapes with "something" on the foreground so we can have some depth on the far end scene. The bush on the right could have been more into the frame like I have done for example. But this should have been done on the capture trying to get the best frame from the beginning.
    On the other hand, the curve of the beach could have been more generous: more bushes on the left side
    I have done a small treatment on the image. I have in a clumsy manner, placed the bush more inside the frame, more present so to say. I think it helps the composition.
    You have chosen what I consider to be a good crop factor: about 3/5 which I use myself quite often.
    I hope you do not mind my work on your image. If you wish I will remove it

Looking before posting:
    If you had moved more to the right side you could have not only the bush more "present" but also more bush on the left side...

Thank you Antonio for replying to my question. I do like the "full" bush in the picture, it definitely adds interest. I have always just tried to get the branches or grass, in the foreground. I see your point of getting the shot right and angling around in the first place rather then trying to fix it later... something I need to really work on...I think sometimes I just get lucky with my composition and need to start "seeing" it before I snap the shutter. I very much appreciate you showing me exactly what you mean, by working on my photo... Thank you:>

Real Name
    António Correia