Thread: FINALLY had a chance to use my first dslr

Real Name
    Krisztina

FINALLY had a chance to use my first dslr

Canon 5d (12.8 mp) bought used from ebay- camera body only
    canon 135mm f2 (from lens rentals)
    lots to learn still, and a lot more gear i need- but finally, have my own dslr!
    My daughter:

Real Name
    Paul

Re: FINALLY had a chance to use my first dslr

Congrats and a fine start to what I am sure will be an enjoyable road ahead.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Thank you!!...it's going to be a long(slow- mainly bc of finances) road, but yes I'm super excited!!
    Here it is straight from camera-

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

really love the edited version! fantastic. How did you do the white framing??
    Last edited by allenlennon; 11th August 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: forgot to ask

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by allenlennon View Post
    really love the edited version! fantastic. How did you do the white framing??
    Thanks! I use free editing programs
    For this one I used Pic Monkey- it has different options/styles for frames
    and other quick post processing tools!

Real Name
    Richard

Congratulations on your new camera. Now it is time to think of a lens.

Some of the best lenses for the 5D would be the 24-105mm f/4L IS amd the 24-70mm f/2.8L. However they are both quite expensive.

There are two lenses which are low priced but are good values. 50mm f/1.8 Mk-ii and the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

The 50mm f/1.8 Mk-ii is the least expensive lens that will work with full frame cameras while the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is a jack of all trades that does a lot of things quite well.

Here is a sample of when I used the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens...

Here is a write-up regarding the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens...

EF 24-105/4.0 L IS compared to other mid range zooms including 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
    http://www.acapixus.dk/photography/24_to_105/index.htm

There are, of course, several better lenses than the 28-135mm but, none that will do the job at the price you can get a used 28-135 for.

The 28-135mm can be had quite inexpensively used on eBay and it has a wide focal range. If I were on a budget and had a full frame camera, I would seriously consider getting another 28-135mm.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th August 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Congratulations on your new camera. Now it is time to think of a lens.

Some of the best lenses for the 5D would be the 24-105mm f/4L IS amd the 24-70mm f/2.8L. However they are both quite expensive.

There are two lenses which are low priced but are good values. 50mm f/1.8 Mk-ii and the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

The 50mm f/1.8 Mk-ii is the least expensive lens that will work with full frame cameras while the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is a jack of all trades that does a lot of things quite well.

Here is a sample of when I used the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens...

Here is a write-up regarding the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens...

EF 24-105/4.0 L IS compared to other mid range zooms including 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
    http://www.acapixus.dk/photography/24_to_105/index.htm

There are, of course, several better lenses than the 28-135mm but, none that will do the job at the price you can get a used 28-135 for.

The 28-135mm can be had quite inexpensively used on eBay and it has a wide focal range. If I were on a budget and had a full frame camera, I would seriously consider getting another 28-135mm.
    I have rented the 135 and the 24-70mm. But my budget has changed but I still wanted to try these lenses out. I have to return them on Monday. .. I would also like a macro for the close up details in portraits not just flowers etc.... it really is tough situatiopn for me, that as much as I would like to share- it's best that I didn't. Even after I return these lenses, it will won't be right away that I will finally buy one. It really sucks, but I'm hoping that when I do, I can move forward abd make some money on the side and invest in more... I am not the type that can ask for others, like family members to help me in this kind of situation as a gift...and sucky as it is- i will be proud and blessed to come a long way on my own- even though I am I 31 YEARS OLD` this is my situation. I am a stay at home mom with 2 children (my daughter will be 3 on Sept. 13th, my son was born may30th of last year)- my husband makes less 100 thou a year) I chose to make the sacrifice of having less income so that I can raise my children as long as I can...I also don't want to let go of my dreams, my passion. I would like to make some money on the side-with photography- and my other creative endeavors. I am teaching myself amisdt the other life issues i have to face -You think you know, but have no idea-kind of thing. If I could, I'd write a book about it- but then again, wouldn't- couldn't expose my parents like that. Anyways- I turn to forums like this for help. I believe I have potential, but it will take a lot more out of more than others to get there. I will not, can't give up- what else do I have?? I will not wallow in my pain anymore- cannont let it bring me down otherwise I will NEVER reach my full potential. I will share when I can!@ I want to learn, want to improve and appreciate ALL the help I can get. Thank YOU!!!

Real Name
    Krisztina

Please forgive ALL my typos/ mis spellings!

Real Name
    Philip

Krisztina, this is a lovely shot but B & W seems inappropriate here - for me it has to be in colour to radiate the happiness in that cute little face! The processing of the image should strive to enhance this. There is also some dead space on the right that could be cropped out of the composition. Hope you don't mind this example edit to illustrate -

(As usual, just my opinions.)

Philip

Real Name
    Krisztina

Thank You Mr B for your comment and edit. I personally think the black and white helps her cute little face Stand out even more with the dark background of my bw edit. When I look at the color image of her I am distracted by the Morning Glory flowers behind her- and therefore, I feel the complete focus on her face is lost a bit. I do like both though!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Congratulations on your first DSLR, Krisztina. You're one lucky girl to start in digital photography with a full-frame camera! I'll be watching your progress. Again, congratulations.