Thread: Exif Data

Real Name
    Chris

Exif Data

Newbie question- where is the EXIF info to be found?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Exif Data

Quote Originally Posted by cneedha View Post
    It depends on the software package your using. In Photoshop if can be access by clicking on FILE -> FILE INFORMATION (off memory - haven't got a copy running just at the moment) ... may well be the same for PSE.

Quote Originally Posted by cneedha View Post
    If you have Adobe Bridge as part of Photoshop you can see the EXIF by bringing up the METADATA window. Or you can use a package such as Opanda which also works on web forums. But not everyone puts the EXIF in posted shots. http://www.opanda.com/en/index.html

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I used to download and save the image to my HDD, then right click the file and view Properties and the info we typically desire was on the Details tab (need to scroll to see it). Time consuming, HDD filling and not always possible.

Now I have an EXIF Viewer Plug-in installed in Firefox, with this, you can just right click the image on a web page (or forum) and see similar info IF it hasn't been stripped out by the PP software.

I use something else, but I've just seen there are many available from Rob's link above. Google EXIF VIEWER with IE or FF and there are any number (lots ) available.

The only thing I have found is these plug-ins can stop working when Mozilla release a new version of Browser. That is, until the Plug-in people also upgrade, but this notification of an available new plug-in version is automatic.

Cheers,

As the previous answers said, it all depends on your software. Some programmes lose or severely restrict the exif data when exporting a file to a different format or converting RAW files etc.

So we need a bit more information on your software and camera to give a full answer.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Here's something that is easy to use:

1) Get the picture on screen you want to know the EXIF for

2) Right click and select Copy Image Location (might be called something else if not FF)

3) Open http://regex.info/exif.cgi in a new browser window or tab

4) Paste the image location into the top box

5) Click View Image at Url button

Most of the stuff we are interested in will be in the "Basic Image Information" box.
    The raw, unprocessed data detail is below that, if you're interested. This is the most comprehensive viewer I have seen (but I haven't seen 'em all).

You can also use it to check whether an image on your HDD has EXIF info using the second box on the page link above.

For subsequent use and to ease access, drag the Exif button to your browser's button bar.
    Then, if you have a post open, you can usually just click the Exif button in your button bar with the picture in view on the browsing tab you are using.

Real Name
    Roger

Dave:

Thank you for the link. It's a very handy tool!

Real Name
    Hooman Javadi

Hi Dave,

tnx so much for useful link

though I am not sure if this can be easily implemented here but I suppose that it would be more helpful if EXIF data is available at the image page and is displayed using a drop box or a button as it works in Panoramio and google plus and some other photo communities on the web

cheers,
    Hooman