Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: St Michael's Mount from Marazion

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

St Michael's Mount from Marazion

I have tried to deal with the glare in this image, which was taken just after mid-day in May. I would be interested to know whether I have succeeded or whether you have any suggestions on how I can improve it.

Thanks in advance.

Aperture: F/13.0 Shutter Speed: 1/320 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: St Michael's Mount from Marazion

Hi, Chris

I think you have succeeded overall. On my monitor, looks like you could bring down the exposure 1/3 to 1/2 stop. Also you might consider dropping one or two gradient layers and experimenting with that. I wonder if a small crop off the right would lend a little more prominence to the 3 main elements. Cheers,

Kevin

Real Name
    Gretchen

Hi Chris --what a great subject! I think I'd crop it in a bit --maybe just to the left and bottom of the family keeping the island off set to the right so the left side of the island (flat part) is centered. It would also serve to bring more focus to the island --which I now really want to visit!!! I also think Kevin is right about the exposure --although I am still learning about all that.

Real Name
    Richard

I totally agree that a tighter crop would benefit this image.

Real Name
    Paul

well you've succeeded in making me want to be there again soon.nice image but i agree with Richard tighter crop would benefit this image

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for all your comments and advice. - I have re-edited by cropping and reducing the exposure by 0.25, which needed a minor levels adjustment to compensate. Kevin can you explain how you would use gradient layers here and I will have a go. I think this is a better version and I would be grateful for all your views.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I have tried to deal with the glare in this image ... I would be interested to know whether I have succeeded or whether you have any suggestions on how I can improve it.
    I think you did a pretty decent job, Christopher. I noticed the halo around the woman which detracts from your image.

One suggestion, if using Photoshop or other software with same feature, is to darken the image using a slight levels adjustment and then apply a gradient to the mask so that the darkening gradually increases from mid sky down to beach. When I tried it on your image, it brought out the water too.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Hey, nice job. I'd probably crop it even more around the family and clone out the rocks above the lady's head. But, it's a personal choice. .. .