Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: UK Landscape shooting location advice needed

UK Landscape shooting location advice needed

Hi everyone,
    I am quite new to the forum and am looking for some advice with regards to landscape photography locations in England. I am planning a trip in October - mainly heading to Scotland, but with 5 days to spare, that I want to spent around Peak District, Yorkshire Dales and / or the Lake District. Since I have never been to this area before I am a bit stuck doing my planing all regions seem to be beautiful.
    So I was wondering, how to best split the days between these three areas or whether it made more sense to leave out one and spent more time in the other two and if so, which to leave out. I guess you are getting the idea.
    If you were in the same situation, what would you guys do? Where would you prefer to go? Any advice for specific must-visit-locations.
    Katja

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: UK Landscape shooting location advice needed

Hi Katja,

I have modified the thread title to attract more replies for you.

It can be the case that almost all the areas you mention are picturesque (if the weather is nice - and sometimes even if it isn't), but getting to places may be an issue.

It will help us to know if you are hiring a (self-drive) car, or if you're reliant on trains and taxis to get between places.

It may also help to know what you're shooting with (e.g. where between DSLR+lenses or Point& Shoot?) and how proficient/artistic your photography is.

Personally I would err to more time spent at fewer locations, or the ratio of travel to shooting times will be disappointing - mind you, so could the latter if the weather lets you down at the chosen places and you cannot change the travel itinerary.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Of course, the obvious answer is that you should just spend all your time in Scotland!

But ............!!!!

I agree with Dave's view about spending more time in fewer locations. It does, of course, depend on what you want to achieve in your visit. If it is to get an overview/an impression of each of these areas and the option to re-visit in the future might not exist, then you would wish to travel to them all.

Each area that you refer to is very beautiful and offers the photographer a multitude of opportunities.

The disadvantage is that you are not going to have any opportunity to see any of them in great detail and be able to spend more time studying the landscape for photographic opportunities.

I think it is impossible to say that one of these areas in England is a nicer or better place to visit. They are all places that will give great pleasure to the visitor .......... but not as much as visiting Scotland, of course!

Real Name
    Dave

Donald got to the answer before me,

I know from my own experience when travelling to new places. it is very easy to spend far too much time travelling and see very little.

With 5 days to spare I'd be tempted to go to the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales at the most. That would give you about couple of days in each (which is not enough, but will give you a taste of the areas), excluding travelling. I think trying to visit three areas in 5 days will be too much, but that is just my view.

However, the answers to Dave's questions would be very useful.

Dave

Real Name
    Paul

Assuming you have a car -
    If you're coming from Scotland your first/nearest stop will be the Lakes. Bed and breakfast is plentiful in Keswick (for the North Lakes) and Ambleside (for the Central and South Lakes). Weather will be changeable and often localised in all the locations you want to visit so check the area and local forecasts. If it's looking bad for the Lakes then Dales or the Peak. Both lovely, choose the location with the best forecast or the location where any front is going to hit first as the leading/trailing edges of fronts often bring the best light. I might prefer the Peak as the weather is often different across the width - bad weather one side can often mean good weather on the other in my experience.
    Regardless of the weather the beer in all three locations can be recommended

@ Dave Humphries: Thanks for helping witht the thread. I am (as you can probably tell) quite new to this.

Regarding the questions you asked...
    Transport: I will be taking the car across from mainland europe so will be mobile and don't have to rely on public transport.
    Equipment: Will be shooting with my Canon 400D and severals lenses (mainly wide angle though). As for proficiency - I would see intermetiate. Have been taking photos for about 3 years now and my main interest is landscapes. Maybe check out my photostream at 500px (http://500px.com/ketscha) to get an idea.

Due to the time restraints I think focussin on one area is a sensible idea. Only problem is: Which? We are travelling up from Cambridge and don't want to stray too far from our route. So I guess it is either going to be the Lakes or Yorkshire. Will need to get planning over the weekend and make my mind up. Thanks for all your replies - you have given me some food for thought there!