Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help in choosing camera upgrade needed.

Real Name
    Sugata Goswami

Help in choosing camera upgrade needed.

Thinking of a Camera upgrade.
    I am using a D3100, my first DSLR which I bought less than a year back. Most of the markings on the body have got worn off out of use, not that it makes much of a difference. My lenses are 18-55 kit, nikkor 55-300 DX, and Sigma 10-20 (all inexpensive lenses). I tend to rough use my camera taking it with me on my outdoor and adventure travels. I would like to buy a full frame like D700, but budgetary constraints are there. I was thinking of a D7000, but then a friend of mine said why don’t you buy a refurbished D200 (Price in B&H is $650) which is a much tougher camera with magnesium alloy body and weather sealed. When looking up the specs I saw it has a CCD sensor vs CMOS in the D7000. Megapix is 10 or so, but that will not make much of a difference unless I make 4 ft posters which is unlikely as an amateur. Regarding low light capability, I am confused. CCD’s are supposed to be less noisy, but D200’s high ISO performance is supposedly not good. Some of the controls of D200 are menu driven which is not very pleasant. The colour performance of D200 is supposed to be excellent.
    I would appreciate any kind of feedback which will help me make a decision. Maybe someone may suggest another camera which will be more suitable.
    Cheers!

Real Name
    Pete

Re: Help in choosing camera upgrade needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugata View Post
    Thinking of a Camera upgrade.
    I am using a D3100, my first DSLR which I bought less than a year back. Most of the markings on the body have got worn off out of use, not that it makes much of a difference. My lenses are 18-55 kit, nikkor 55-300 DX, and Sigma 10-20 (all inexpensive lenses). I tend to rough use my camera taking it with me on my outdoor and adventure travels. I would like to buy a full frame like D700, but budgetary constraints are there. I was thinking of a D7000, but then a friend of mine said why don’t you buy a refurbished D200 (Price in B&H is $650) which is a much tougher camera with magnesium alloy body and weather sealed. When looking up the specs I saw it has a CCD sensor vs CMOS in the D7000. Megapix is 10 or so, but that will not make much of a difference unless I make 4 ft posters which is unlikely as an amateur. Regarding low light capability, I am confused. CCD’s are supposed to be less noisy, but D200’s high ISO performance is supposedly not good. Some of the controls of D200 are menu driven which is not very pleasant. The colour performance of D200 is supposed to be excellent.
    I would appreciate any kind of feedback which will help me make a decision. Maybe someone may suggest another camera which will be more suitable.
    Cheers!
    If money is a constraint and you want a more robust body then look at a secondhand d300. although that may still be beyond your budget

The d200 sensor will be inferior to the d3100 at high iso's. It is a very old sensor and the technology has come on leaps and bounds since then. I believe that the d200 uses the same/very similar sensor as the d80 and the 12mp sensor used in the d90/d300 is much better at high iso.

However if high iso is important to you get a d7000 it has a more robust body than a d3100 and better high iso performance.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The D7000's top and rear panels are made of magnesium alloy and the camera is also weather sealed. I'm guessing that those two panels tend to get the most abuse. I seem to remember that all panels of the D200 are made of magnesium alloy, but check that out as I'm not sure about it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

You could also see about a D90 - mostly the same electronics as the D300 for a lot less money. I've been shooting one for almost 4 years. Going fairly cheap either new or used. Still a plastic body, but I've dragged mine all over the world (even dripped it in a volcano, and while I cracked the housing, I was able to keep on shooting for the whole trip).

Real Name
    Sugata Goswami

Thank you everyone for your kind inputs. I will remember your thoughts when taking a decision.

Real Name
    Christopher

Hi Sugata! I have a Nikon D90, and a D7000, and both are excellent cameras. When I fail to take good pictures, the limitations are mine, and not the camera's.

To make my cameras a bit more robust, I have fitted them with Walimex silicone protection covers, which only add slightly to their bulk, but do give them a reassuring second skin. http://www.amazon.co.uk/walimex-easy...4067795&sr=8-6