Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Setting Milkyway

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

Setting Milkyway

26 image panorama stretching from the constellation "chamaeleon" in the south (left) to well past "delphinus" in the north (right).
    The moon had set only half an hour earlier causing the muck type sky close to the horizon. I am going to do this image again when there is no moon. I could have raised the camera up a bit to get more stars, I cropped off a lot of foreground. My excuse for not framing properly is it was cold only 3deg C - cold for me - poor excuse.

Canon 550D Nikon 20mm f3.5 @ f4 26 x 30 sec, 1 x Dark Frame subtracted from each Light Frame (image) ISO 3200

Setting Milkyway

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Setting Milkyway

someday, I will understand the language of your last sentence! LOL. Beautiful, just beautiful. I love the interplay of the light thru space into our atmosphere.

Stephen,

This is a wonderful image! I agree that it could have been more interesting if it was framed in a way to include more stars, but maybe you could just try moving your crop up a little more to cut off more of the foreground but still including the silhouettes of the grass and trees against the horizon. That would leave less of a black void in the foreground and maybe make it easier on the eyes. But I can only speak for my own eyes! Great job.

- Jacob

Real Name
    Gretchen

Jacob, I think you are right, less land, more sky. I'd love to see more of the color produced by the interplay of the clouds. So very kewl/1