Thread: Camera Age.

Real Name
    Raul or Gabriel

Camera Age.

Hey guys, I was wondering. How long can a DSLR shutter last? My camera is the Nikon D5000 and I use it at least more than 10 times a month. How long do you guys think will the shutter last? Do tell me the amount of shots a regular and professional camera shutter can use.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Camera Age.

My understanding is that Nikon DSLRs can be expected to last a ballpark of about 100,000 shutter actuations unless their marketing and technical specifications tell you to expect more. I'm not a gearhead, so I would be pleased to be corrected about this.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Fstop Manalo View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering. How long can a DSLR shutter last? My camera is the Nikon D5000 and I use it at least more than 10 times a month. How long do you guys think will the shutter last? Do tell me the amount of shots a regular and professional camera shutter can use.
    It depends on the camera model; different models have different shutter life design. The D5000's design life is 100000 cycles. My D800 has a design life of 200000 cycles.

This means that your shutter is designed to last that long, and in fact, it will probably last longer. Because this is a statistical analysis, there is also a (low) possibilty that it will fail much earlier.

If you are intersted in how many shots your camera has taken; check out this website: http://www.nikonshuttercount.com/

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you Raul and Manfred for getting me interested in looking this up. This is what I found.

If you use Photoshop, to see your current shutter count, just open your most recent Nikon image and in the File Menu, File Info, Advanced Tab, Schema, it is the value to the right of Aux:ImageNumber:

http://oneslidephotography.com/how-t...-nikon-camera/

For Canon users, you'll need the EOSInfo app or similar.

http://oneslidephotography.com/how-t...era/#more-3588

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 30th July 2012 at 12:51 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

To follow up on Frank's helpful post, anyone using IDimager Version 5 will be able to determine the shutter count of a particular image by reviewing the EXIF Info panel, selecting the Full Exif tab and looking for the ShutterCount metadata field. That metadatata field can be customized to also be displayed in the Exif Summary tab so you don't have to wade through seemingly a mile-long list of fields to find it.