Thread: More Scottish slides

Real Name
    Brad

More Scottish slides

I love seeing all the photos of Scotland that people have been posting over the past week or so! I scanned some old Kodachrome and Agfachrome slides a few years back and among them were these three from the mid 1980s:

An abandoned croft on the south end of the isle of Rhum:

More Scottish slides

Lichens near the road to Glencripesdale, a big estate by Loch Sunart

More Scottish slides

View from the summit of Ben Nevis, October 1987:

More Scottish slides

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: More Scottish slides

Scotland really is gorgeous. I like the second image the best. You might conside cropping the top to show only the gold lichen. Doing so would make a great study of it, which would be enhanced by the interesting foreground clump of grass. Just my thoughts.

Real Name
    Brad

Good idea, thanks!

The other two images looked a lot better before the slides started fading and changing color...I waited a bit too long before doing the scans. The first one actually ended up as an inside spread in a magazine, although they converted it to B&W.

I spent three weeks walking along the western and northern coasts of Scotland in January 1985 helping with a shorebird survey for the British Trust for Ornithology. I've been back a few times since, and almost bought a little cottage in Elgol, south Skye.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It should be fairly easy and well worth it to return the first one to its original color cast. I spent less than 10 seconds to arrive at the version shown below. Please don't hesitate to ask me to remove it if that's your preference.

More Scottish slides

Real Name
    Brad

Thanks! I have somehow misplaced the TIFF files from my scans, and only have the JPEGs (and the original slides are long gone now). So I didn't bother with any post-processing from the JPEGs. I like what you did, although the color of the sky and the clouds in the original image above were actually closer to reality. The larger issue with that image was focus; I normally worked at F22 wherever possible in my landscape shots but must not have in this one, or maybe I didn't focus correctly...whatever, the cottage isn't nearly as sharp as it could have been. The shadowy lines at the left are run-rigs, and there were sheilings up in the hills.