Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Swallow and Nest

Real Name
    Pat

Swallow and Nest

Hi Folks,
    Tried to capture some shots of Swallow's today and in so doing practiced with flash, your thoughts, comments and observations most welcome,
    Best Wishes, Pat

Swallow and Nest

Swallow and Nest

Re: Swallow and Nest

Just wondered if the flash is a fraction on the strong side, Pat. What settings and are you using a bit of flash compensation?

Swallows are so difficult to photograph perfectly.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Geoff,
    I have that impression also, that the flash is a bit overpowering. I tried to capture them coming into the nest and ended up with settings of 1/2000, f5.6, and iso 400 with the flash on manual at full power and zoomed to 105mm. Any tips would be most appreciated as I hope to try again in the morning, this time with the flash off camera.
    Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Pat

On reflection and self critique on one of the image's above it seemed to me that the colour was off so I did an edit, your opinion would be highly valued, Best Wishes, Pat.

Swallow and Nest

Those colours are much more natural, Pat.

The trouble with using flash in these circumstances, as you are well aware, is that you don't get many chances to get it right.

Using manual flash is a good option providing you can experiment and obtain the correct output level in advance.

The only alternative is to try using the high speed flash setting (with a little bit of flash compensation) then hope it works with your other camera adjustments.

Using full manual camera controls but auto flash, you could try going to Iso 800 in order to allow yourself a bit more depth of field, in case the swallow isn't perfectly trained and flies slightly off the designated course.

Real Name
    Pat

Many thanks for that Geoff,
    Best Wishes, Take Care Pat