Thread: Portraits - making a portfolio

Real Name
    Kristian

Portraits - making a portfolio

I've decided to make a portrait portfolio, and use it to push myself forward. Thus, I've found several models (from amateurs to professional) and will spend the next few weeks shooting and editing for the port. I'll add some of the better portraits in this thread, and I hope to get some feedback on the light and edit.

For this portrait of Caroline, I used a beauty dish above her to the front, a silver reflector under her chin, a hairlight from camera right/behind, and a light on the background. The settings were 180s @ f/8, ISO 100.

I will remove a few strains of hair when I find the time to do so, as there are some hair that I think need removing.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Portraits - making a portfolio

Kristian... This is a very lovely portrait of a beautiful female! The only nit-picking comment I can make is that the neckline of her black blouse makes it look like her head is floating and unattached to her body. But like I said, that is nit-picking and the floating effect might just add to the image...

And... Perhaps you can find an aspiring make-up artist and a hair-stylist who would trade their services for images to include in their portfolio. I occasionally shoot models with the aid of a MUA and hair stylist. It is really great because the artist or the stylist will often see things that I miss and those things can be corrected before I capture the image. This really reduces the need for post production editing to a great extent. It also makes for some great and professional looking imagery...

I will be going on a model shoot this Thursday in which four of us photographers have teamed up with several models, hair-stylists and make-up artists. We will supply images for the portfolios of the models, artists and stylists and they will supply their beauty and talent. That is, IMO, a WIN-WIN situation. Hair stylists especially like this type of shoot because thay can ask us to shoot rear views of their hair syles. They never get this type of view otherwise...

I also learn a lot regarding make-up and hair styles working with professionals and aspiring professionals. For example, when I first shot models who were wearing photographic makeup, professionally applied, I thought that the makeup was applied too heavily. However, after viewing my images, I realized that photo make-up is quite different (usually more dramatic and heavily applied) from walk-around make-up...

Additionally, I really like the small, unobtrusive, logo you have on this image. I have usually avoided putting my name on my images because I thought that it might be too obtrusive. However, I think that a small logo like yours would not intrude on an image and might help in getting other models to work with me...

BTW: When shooting with a group of models, it is often difficult to remember who is whom. I use the video capability of my 7D camera to shoot a quick low resolution (to save memory space) video of each model; having her state her name and email address. I also give each model a couple of my photo business cards...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th July 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Real Name
    Kristian

Richard, thank you for the long and interesting reply. I really appreciate a forum where you get something else than the "nice photo"-replies

I guess you're right. The sweater and the background are kinda similar, and as it's an easy fix I'll definitelydo something about it.

When it comes to stylists and muas, Caroline is my stylist. We were in the studio when the model called in sick, and she asked if I could use her instead. As the model was supposed to get her makeup fixed before arriving (and Caroline was supposed to do any touchups that might be needed) we didn't have a mua around for the shoot itself.

Professionally applied makeup for photograph looks weird the first time you see it, but you get used to it. And yes, you learn a lot just by watching the mua and stylist work. Actually, I have somewhat successfully applied makeup myself when the mua couldn't be there.

When I shoot several models, I have them hold a piece of paper with their name in the first frame. Different ways to the same result I guess

Real Name
    Kristian

A new model, Anneke, who hates having her picture taken. I went for a sort of oldish edit, as I thought it made the hat look better.

(Oh, and today I had a mua/stylist at hand! It sure helps a lot...)

Real Name
    Kristian

My girlfriend helped me as a mua/stylist when I shot Anneke (in the post above this), and also sat at the model's place when I rigged the lights. I thought this was a good photo of her, so I did a quick edit and well, here it is.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Great image. This one is my favourite

Real Name
    Brian

Kristian, all three images are great. For my tastes, the first one could use a little more hightlights, the second could use a little less, and the third is dead on.
    Good work.

Real Name
    Larry

Kristian, foto of Caroline, as seen on my monitor, image is cropped from just below the hair braid down to the bottom of the blouse neckline. That removes a lot of the darkness and I like it better.

BTW, took me a while to figure out mua is a makeup artist and not some kind of Norwegian dress. Nice work.

Real Name
    Kristian

Larry, I will test that crop, and see if I like it! Thank you for the suggestion
    Last edited by Kittelsaa; 7th August 2012 at 07:11 PM.