Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Man with a newspaper.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Man with a newspaper.

Man with a newspaper.

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6D lens.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Man with a newspaper.

Willie - In this one I found my attention being taken from that man's head and hat to the face of the lady above and to the left of that.

I wondered if this image, which in its make-up is another wonderful example of your current work, would be strengthened by lifting the shadows on the side of the man's face and neck and on his hat, so that more attention was directed towards them?

Real Name

I did try that, Donald but overdoing it (dodging the man's facial shadow area) would make the image look unrealistic. When I framed this shot, I was really attracted to the nice play of light on the man. I was really waiting for the guy to have that nice gesture of opening up the pages of the newspaper but that lady at the far end saw my camera and I can't seem to find the right moment for her to look away from me. Would you believe that this was the only shot I took of him? I also like how the two poles seem to position him like a frame-within-a-frame kind of shot. Well, maybe, things will align better my way on my next shots. This street photography thing is really challenging in a good way. It makes me become very aware of everything I see inside the viewfinder's frame. Thanks for your comments, Donald.

I understand what you were trying to do with the image but it hasn't worked for me. As you say, the man didn't strike an interesting pose (holding up the paper or turning the pages) and the fact that he is viewed from behind further weakens the image. Also, like Donald, I find my attention drawn far more to the woman in the background and the woman in the foreground.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by dan marchant View Post
    I understand what you were trying to do with the image but it hasn't worked for me. As you say, the man didn't strike an interesting pose (holding up the paper or turning the pages) and the fact that he is viewed from behind further weakens the image. Also, like Donald, I find my attention drawn far more to the woman in the background and the woman in the foreground.
    Thanks, Dan. Interesting of you to say that you are drawn more to the woman on the background and the man on the front considering their relative location and "weight" on the image. I know that the eyes will wander inside the frame looking for information to understand the concept about the shot but will always settle to something that is of greater "weight" and brightness compared to other elements. The play of light was the one that attracted me to take this shot and not his pose, of which would be secondary for me. Thanks. Your comment is really very interesting to me. I shall study this further.

I'm afraid that for me the light just isn't special enough to provide any real interest on its own. Also, as mentioned above, people's backs are very difficult subjects because of the lack of face/eye contact. Unless they are doing something interesting or their posture tells you clearly what they are feeling then rear shots generally don't work.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I did try that, Donald but overdoing it (dodging the man's facial shadow area) would make the image look unrealistic. When I framed this shot, I was really attracted to the nice play of light on the man. I was really waiting for the guy to have that nice gesture of opening up the pages of the newspaper but that lady at the far end saw my camera and I can't seem to find the right moment for her to look away from me. Would you believe that this was the only shot I took of him? I also like how the two poles seem to position him like a frame-within-a-frame kind of shot. Well, maybe, things will align better my way on my next shots. This street photography thing is really challenging in a good way. It makes me become very aware of everything I see inside the viewfinder's frame. Thanks for your comments, Donald.
    I agree about the woman looking right at the camera - kind of a spoiler for me in this case. I like the rest of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by dan marchant View Post
    I also find her interesting. I love the execution of the photo but I would like to see a face and hers seems to be available.