Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Dog Butters

Real Name
    David

My Dog Butters

Random photos of butters all opinions welcome. sorry last post of flowers forgot what forum I was in.

My Dog Butters

My Dog Butters

Re: My Dog Butters

I like picture one the best but like the focus in two better. Were your going for the soft focus in picture one?

Real Name
    Richard

First of all, welcome to CiC, David. I hope this is just a start of a long and happy relationship.

I am hope that you wanted some critique of the images of your very cute dog.

Regarding Image Number One. I am assuming that you were shooting with avalable light and that your aperture was pretty wide open. I always shoot my dogs with bounce flash and a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro to modify the light. That way my images come out sharper because:

#1... I can use a smaller aperture and get greater DOF
    #2... The flash will stop most image motion indoors
    #3... The flash AF assist helps to nail the focus

There are times when my wife needs to hold a dog for the image. This is particularly true when shooting puppies. We usually cover my wife's hands with a piece of fabric. I have six or eight fleece throws, in different colors, which I use as backgrounds for my dogs when I shoot them on an easy chair and which we cover my wife's hands when we are holding a puppy. That way, the image doesn't contain my wife's hands or fingers. I get the throws at discount stores or on Amazon.com and they average around six U.S. dollars each.

My Dog Butters

We also use a "show lead" to stabilize the dogs for portraits. A show lead is a very thin lead with a loup at the end, rather than a clip to attach to a collar. The show lead is easily cloned out.

My gallery of rescue Maltese is at: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/MAL...896317&k=76UMt

Lately, we have used a Lazee Boy chair for dog portraits. We put one of the fleece throws over the seat, back and arms of the chair. This makes a reasonably good place to put the dogs for portraits. It restricts their movement qite a bit. I sit on a rolling chair to shoot so I get eye level shots of the dogs. I can roll around to achieve a good angle.

My Dog Butters

I most often shoot my dogs (indoors or out) using a crop camera and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. I love a longer focal length for both people and dog pictures.

Finally, I always try to have a camera with flash mounted and a fresh CF card installed ready, in case the dogs do something interesting or funny...

My Dog Butters
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th July 2012 at 04:44 PM.

Real Name
    David

Thank you for your insight, actually at the time of the pictures I had just received the camera as a gift and was just snapping away learning the different functions. I think I got lucky with these photos. I didn't realize how much there is to learn. I am committed to getting better. thanks again

Real Name
    David

By the way GREAT photos I absolutely love them.