Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: US Naval Academy Graduation

Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

US Naval Academy Graduation

Most shots taken in rough midday lighting from waaay up in the stadium with 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. I will say the new Shadows slider in LR 4.0 is amazing!

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1431 by flyfitz, on Flickr

IMG_1594 by flyfitz, on Flickr

IMG_1423 by flyfitz, on Flickr

IMG_1484 by flyfitz, on Flickr

Thanks,

Sean Fitz

Real Name
    John

Re: US Naval Academy Graduation

Hi Sean,
    Very nice set of pictures, my favourite is picture number 1.
    Well done.

Real Name
    Kevin

Really nice, Sean. Agree #1 is exceptional. You might consider cloning the signage at the lower right to make a homogeneous line of trees with no distractions. I'm sure the family (yours, perhaps?) of that graduate would love to have that framed.

Well done,
    Kevin
    Last edited by kdoc856; 8th July 2012 at 12:14 AM.

Real Name
    Raul or Gabriel

Hey Sean, I really love this kind of pictures. as long as the picture has something about the army, navy, etc. it's always a nice sight to me. I love the pictures especially #1 and #4. Nice JOB!!! :bd

Real Name
    Richard

Great pictures! Number one is superb but, I agree that clonng out or cropping out the bright building at the lower right might be appropriate.

I would love to know the story of the midshpman who is graduating in a wheelchair.

Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

Thanks for the feedback--good ideas on cleaning up the images. We live in Annapolis and are a "sponsor" family for a midshipman, giving them a place to rest on weekends, and our mid graduated this year (he's not in any of the shots, unfortunately.). The mid in the wheelchair was in a car accident while he was in school, but was still comissioned as an officer and obviously graduated.

Thanks again,

Sean Fitz

Real Name
    Richard

"The mid in the wheelchair was in a car accident while he was in school, but was still comissioned as an officer and obviously graduated."

I am glad to see that the Navy has adopted a realistic and humane attitude to some physical disabilities. Although it would be difficult if not impossible for a Navy person to serve aboard ship in a wheelchair.

I remember when the physical requirements were so strict that if a midshipman's eyes were not 20/20 at graduation (even if they were 20/20 at admission) he could not be comissioned as a line officer in the Navy. His (and there were no "hers" at that time) only recourse was to accept a comission as a supply officer which was not what many young Naval Officers cared for.

The regs were changed soon after a large number of Naval Academy grads took advantage of a little known law and elected to accept commissions in other branches of the military (Army and Air Force) which were not so strict regarding eyesight. The Naval Academy and the Navy had egg on their respective faces when the story broke in the national news media.