Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dragonfly

Dragonfly

This is my first post of a pic. I used a Canon powershot sx110. Since I have no idea what I am doing, I had it on automatic mode, in macro. When my kids start school I plan on learning more..

dragonfly.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st August 2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add image inline

Re: Dragonfly

Did I upload it right??? Why is the pic so small? =(

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sara,

To answer your question; well, you made the attachment OK, but after posting, you needed to:
    1) View the attachment
    2) Right click and select Copy Image Location from the pop up menu (this puts the image URL on the 'clipboard')
    3) Go back into the post (with Edit Post button), put the cursor between text and attachment
    4) Click the little Insert Image icon (the little picture frame one)
    5) Paste the image URL into the pop up box, this is easiest done by just using Ctrl + V on your keyboard
    6) You should now see the image URL between IMG and /IMG tags, so just click Save button

Or, just wait until a moderator comes along, it takes seconds to do and Colin and I do this at least once a day for many other members, so why not you too
    No really, we don't mind, it's easy-peasy. You'll note I've already done it for you.

As to the photo, a good capture; although I believe this is actually a "blue tailed damselfly" rather than a dragonfly, although I'm no expert either.

Well done,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st August 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Well I don't know much about non UK species but the wings folded lengthways do suggest a damselfly. Dragonflies usually hold their wings outstretched.

I went digital several years ago with a secondhand Canon Powershot G2 and although this sort of camera has limitations, it is possible to take reasonable macro photos.

My main recommendations would be: Use a tripod for macro work, a cheap lightweight model will make a lot of difference; make certain that the autofocus is focusing on the correct part of your subject and not the background; use spot metering with a little bit of exposure compensation when necessary; use Av (aperture priority) setting, unless exceptional circumstances demand otherwise.

And remember that you will always have a very shallow depth of field. Subjects like damselflies, and many other subjects, are difficult to get totally sharp focused due to the head to tail angle taking part of their bodies outside of your focus range. The answer is to make sure that you are at 90 degrees to them which increases the area in focus.

But that is frequently impossible, and I always recommend getting one shot in the camera, from any angle, before attempting anything clever which frightens away your subject.

Thank you both Dave and Geoff for the information! I had always wondered why these "dragonflies" looked so different compared to the larger REAL ones! LOL. I have never until today, heard of a damselfly. So I did some "research" and believe it may be a Stream Bluet(?).. And Dave, I believe I may have a pic of a Bluetail as well. But think the one posted is a bit better.. I love taking pics of bugs/insects and trying to identify them! =]

Hope its OK to post more pics that were shot on auto mode.. I thought maybe someone out there would want to see what this camera can do when you're a newbie such as myself. Anyway, if you want the pics posted someplace else on this site, please let me know! I feel so out of league here with all the professional looking shots I have seen! Thanks again!! Oh and Dave, thank you for doing my dirty work for me and fixing the picture! I appreciate it!!

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Sara,
    Nice one! Keep them coming.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sara,

I'm sure you're research is more thorough than mine, so I won't argue on the damselfly, I do admit it didn't quite match the picture in my book and you are a few thousand miles away on a different continent!

We won't hold using Auto against you, as long as you don't brag about it too much
    This is the correct place for nature pics, so posting yours here is just fine.

You still have control of composition and if PP'ing, cropping and a few other things, so don't feel too bad about yourself

So, as Jim says, keep 'em coming.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jim

Sara,

I think that might be a Stocky Lestes(Damsel).It's the only one I can find that has the same markings with a green thorax.The others have distinct colour bars on each segment of the abdomen(blue bars or purple).The Lestes only has the colour on the end segment.
    Regards,
    Jim

Haha! Dave, my "research" consisted of me googling it! lol. And I could be wrong! ;c) anyway, thanks for the responses. I think I got cold feet, and worried about uploading shots taken on Auto mode.. But I am over it, and back on track! =]