Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Did I over sharpen these?

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Did I over sharpen these?

A replica of the cabin where Lincoln was born. It's located in Foster Park in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I used SilverFX for a B/W conversion with the Faux Infrared Preset. Blended in Saturation mode at 50% with the original color version.
    I kinda liked the result - it left just a little hint of colour.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Did I over sharpen these?

When viewing them at full size, they don't look oversharpened to me except perhaps the grass. You could back off on the sharpening and the image would be just as appealing at full-size and perhaps more appealing at the small size. Just my thinking.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Hello Kris,

To me, it's just about personal taste. If one likes (or wants to present) a cooler, starker image, then yours is certainly not over-sharpened. It's possible some might prefer a warmer and softer presentation (as below). Neither is right nor wrong, I don't think. It's kinda like that "Sometimes I feel like a nut and sometimes I don't" thingy.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    Hello Kris,

To me, it's just about personal taste. If one likes (or wants to present) a cooler, starker image, then yours is certainly not over-sharpened. It's possible some might prefer a warmer and softer presentation (as below). Neither is right nor wrong, I don't think. It's kinda like that "Sometimes I feel like a nut and sometimes I don't" thingy.
    I like them both. I printed the de-saturated version with a colour laser printer, and it came out surprisingly well.
    The print has slightly more colour than on screen.

Real Name
    Dan

Kris,

It depends on how you intend to produce the image. An image that looks oversharpened in a small jpeg on screen may print very well on an inkjet printer, and conversely, if you get it to look just as you want on screen, it is likely to have less crispness when printed.

Beyond that, it is a matter of taste. To my taste, these are a tad oversharpened for this display medium. This does not show up in the logs, but it shows up in some areas that should be softer. E.g., the leaves of the hostas at the bottom center seem a bit crunchy. However, even to my tastes, it is only a bit too harsh.

Dan

Real Name
    Baard

Hi Kris,

The pictures was sharp and crispy, but not to much (with that i mean damaged).

When that said, it was to sharp for my view . This kind of sharpness, i prefer on flowers, insects and other things, but for this cabin i would make it softer (like the copy, posted by Lon Howard)

Bskaad