Thread: Girlfriends

Real Name
    Kristian

Girlfriends

This is one of my recent photos. I'm going back to my roots (My roots being a Pentax K1000 analog camera although this is shot on a Pentax K20D) trying to nail black and white photography. The conversion was done in Lightroom 4.

For the shot I used a beauty dish right next to, and a bit above, the camera, and a softbox to the camera left. I also have a light hanging from the ceiling, pointing towards the background.

Girlfriends

ISO 100, 1/180 sec at f/8 26.25mm (Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II)

If (or when, as they are friends of mine) I do this again, I'd move their arms a bit, and perhaps also bring in a makeup artist/stylist.

At another forum, people told me the photo is to dark, so I've added a lighter version of it. I would like to hear your option on the dark vs light, and if there are anything I should do differently with lights, pose, and conversion. (Huge order, so you don't have to answer everything!)

Girlfriends
    Last edited by Kittelsaa; 22nd June 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added another version of the photo

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Girlfriends

Sorry to be mama bear but the first is too dark and the second is too bright. And if you do a similar shot in the future don't go too much with the makeup and hair. Keep it simple and clean.

Real Name
    Kristian

No problem Andrew. I can make a version that fall between these two when it comes to light/dark.

I'm not sure if I understand the makeup and hair thing though, as none of the girls had any makeup on or styling

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kittelsaa View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand the makeup and hair thing though, as none of the girls had any makeup on or styling
    Hi Kristian,

I think what Andrew meant was don't overdo any make up applied in the future shot(s).

My thought was also that the second version was about 1/2 stop too bright.

I would suggest losing the text bracelet if possible - it distracts because given text, we try to read it.

I like the composition and the space on the right, given their height difference, it seems 'just right'.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Andrew

Kristian, Dave is correct. In your first post you said

"If (or when, as they are friends of mine) I do this again, I'd move their arms a bit, and perhaps also bring in a makeup artist/stylist."

I just meant not to overdo it.

Real Name
    Kristian

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    Kristian, Dave is correct. In your first post you said

"If (or when, as they are friends of mine) I do this again, I'd move their arms a bit, and perhaps also bring in a makeup artist/stylist."

I just meant not to overdo it.
    Ah, then it makes sense

Real Name
    Andrew

Can I be the guy who disagrees with everyone? I like them both, I think the lighting is too dark in #1, and too light in #2, if you were going for 'perfect' exposure. BUT, for me, #1 is quite intimate, and the darkness reinforces that feeling of closeness. Number 2 has a more editorial feel (again, to me), and could be in a magazine. Lighting drastically affects the mood of your subject, and I think you've shown that here. I like them both.

Real Name
    Kristian

Thank you Andrew76

Real Name
    Kristian

Yet another version of the photo. A bit less bright than the last, but a lot brighter than the first
    Girlfriends

About the armband: It's something she's had on for years, and it's special to her, so she didn't want to remove it. Originally they were posed the other way around, so I didn't think much of it. I guess I should've kept them the way they stood, instead of having them swap places, but when they stood the other way, I didn't get the shot right.

My question now, as I'm not used to convert to black and white: In Lightroom 4, should I try to get the skin on the rightmost hand even, or does the shadow there look ok to you guys?