Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Please HELP! Can I use my sb600 on camera to trigger my new sb700 off camera?

Please HELP! Can I use my sb600 on camera to trigger my new sb700 off camera?

Hi everyone..
    This is my first post and I apologize for not properly introducing myself but I have a time sensitive question...

I have and love my sb600 and just bought a sb700 - my question is this...

Can I use my sb600 on my d7000 camera body as fill/bounce light to brighten my model to thus also trigger my new sb700 off cam (behind the model) using sb-4 mode (or remote mode)? Without purchasing any additional 'triggers'?

Please answer if you know the solution to my problem! It will help me so much!!!

I've been looking online for an answer for 3 hours and can't find a thing!

Thank you again kindly!!!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Please HELP! Can I use my sb600 on camera to trigger my new sb700 off camera?

You can set the SB700 as master and use the SB600 in slave mode. Your camera will trigger the master flash mounted on the hot shoe, which in turn triggers the slave. You will need to check your manual. The SB600 settings are not exactly intuitive (I own one). The SB700, I've never used, but the controls are a lot clearer.

You can also use both flashes off-camera as slaves if you set your D7000 into Commander Mode. You can't mount either flash on the camera to do this, as the pop-up flash is used to do this. Both flashes can be set together or independently and controlled that way directly from the camera. Your camera and flash manuals have all this information.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Please HELP! Can I use my sb600 on camera to trigger my new sb700 off camera?

The problem with using the camera flash as master is that if the subjects are looking at the camera you could get the 'red-eye' effect. Else if you don't want light coming from the camera position.
    Whatever you should be able to mask off the camera flash so only some of the flashlight escapes to trigger the other flashes. Also if the camera flash is too strong you can just mask off some of it with your finger to reduce the power of it ... done that too ... quicker than fiddling with settings

Real Name
    Mike

Pash, good info above, and another alternative is to get the flash
    off the camera completely. I have 3 pairs of these, and so far they
    are flawless after a great deal of use. You would need 3 total, as then
    you have one as a transmitter mounted to your flash mount, and the
    other 2 as receivers. Only downside is that you would be using your
    flash in Manual mode only.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wirele...ongnuo+RF-603n

Also, have you looked into using the Nikon CLS system built directly into your
    D7000?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    The problem with using the camera flash as master is that if the subjects are looking at the camera you could get the 'red-eye' effect. Else if you don't want light coming from the camera position.
    Whatever you should be able to mask off the camera flash so only some of the flashlight escapes to trigger the other flashes. Also if the camera flash is too strong you can just mask off some of it with your finger to reduce the power of it ... done that too ... quicker than fiddling with settings
    Actually the hot shoe mounted flashes sit high enough off the camera axis so that I have never had a red-eye problem from using either my SB600 or SB900 on camera. The pop-up flash, that is a totally different story and definitely causes red eye.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by pash View Post
    Can I use my sb600 on my d7000 camera body as fill/bounce light to brighten my model to thus also trigger my new sb700 off cam (behind the model) using sb-4 mode (or remote mode)? Without purchasing any additional 'triggers'?
    Yes. You can use SU-4 mode, so long as the SB-700's sensor can see the SB-600's flash. But, SU-4 mode cannot account for any preflashes, so the SB-600 must be in Manual mode, and you will not have any iTTL fancy stuff, as you would with the D7000's pop up or the SB-700 as your commander unit. What you're proposing is kind of doing things the super-hard way.

Best solution is probably to use both your speedlites off-camera, one as key, one as fill, and use the D7000's pop-up, set to "--" to not contribute any on-axis light, to command both of the SBs. This way, you retain iTTL and remote commanding capability, and have access to FP mode. All of which you'll lose if you go to SU-4 mode.

The only reason you might need additional radio-based triggers is if the light-based systems don't work because of range or line-of-sight issues. Typically, if you're inside in a studio setting, this shouldn't be an issue, because the light-based signalling should bounce off walls/ceiling and still make it to the slave flash sensors.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Actually the hot shoe mounted flashes sit high enough off the camera axis so that I have never had a red-eye problem from using either my SB600 or SB900 on camera.
    I recently got some red eye using the SB600 on-camera.