Thread: emailing HDR photos

emailing HDR photos

I have some HDR photographs I would like to send as emails or post on a web site.
    But they are too large. What do I have to do to these photos to be able to email them?

Real Name
    Will

Re: emailing HDR photos

If you have something like gimp or photoshop, then just open it up and scale down the image, and/or reduce the jpg quality. If you dont have anything installed, you could try an online image editor if its just a one off rather than downloading and installing an app. picnik and pixlr are the first to come up in google. Alternatively even window's paint program should be able to resize the images to get a smaller file size.

Real Name
    Steaphany

For a web site, You'll probably have to scale them down.

To email them, try out RapidShare where you can upload up to 200MB and then send the URL for downloading the file in your email. If you are sending multiple files, bundle them up in a ZIP file and as long as your ZIP is under 200 MB, RapidShare will take it.

RapidShare is free and will hold the files for 90 days or 10 downloads, which ever comes first.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi corona203,

I don't think that they are HDR is too relevant, so have you seen this tutorial here at CiC?

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...ze-for-web.htm

Cheers,

if it's for sending to someone to tonemap etc themself or some other purpose where the actual HDR file is needed then openexr should give you the compression you are after. As dave said if it's for image viewing or web display then HDR doesn't really enter into it since it's a low dynamic image you will be wanting regardless of whether it was made from HDR source or not.

Unless you are talking about interactive HDR file viewer like the one based on pfstools

http://pfstools.sourceforge.net/hdrhtml.html

which give interactive exposure control but openexr should suit that purpose well too. Other formats similar size to openexr are either technically not as capable or if they are technically better (like 32bit floating point tiff are) they are much much bigger files (too big for most applications in general, especially for photography).

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by corona203 View Post
    I have some HDR photographs I would like to send as emails or post on a web site.
    They might have come from a high dynamic range source, but after processing they're just normal dynamic range like any other photo so - as Dave mentioned - it doesn't enter into the equasion.

As others have mentioned, you'll need to down-sample the images using a program; usually with the longest dimension somewhere in the 800 to 1000 pixel region. Also, don't forget that the images will need resharpening after downsampling.

I do have photoshop and gimp. Thank you all, its been very helpful.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

We're glad to help