Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Venus Crossed the Sun for Last Time this Century

Real Name
    Ahmed

Venus Crossed the Sun for Last Time this Century

On Wednesday June 6, 2012, the planet Venus started its nearly seven-hour trek across the face of the sun. This is the last time Earthlings can see such a view until 2117! Venus transit officially began on June 5 just after (2200 GMT), and lasted for six hours and 40 minutes. Venus looked like a small black spot as it crosses the bright sun.

I tried to record this unique phenomenon with my Canon 550D camera (55~250 mm f/32-1/4000-ISO 100). I used dark and colored filters (Pola A160 & Cokin A153) to get clear photos as much as I can. I got the attached results, which are not as bad as I expected. I marked the image of Venus is with red circle. I noticed that when Venus moves towards the center of the Sun, it appears as faint disk as you will see in the attached shots.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Venus Crossed the Sun for Last Time this Century

Well done, Ahmed.

I am sure all the space agencies and observatories will be producing images for publication. But you have images that you made yourself and you should feel very proud.

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

Ahmed
    It is VERY dangerous to look at and photograph the sun without a SAFE solar filter. You could damage your camera and worst of all you could loose your sight.
    BAADER Planetarium in Germany make a safe solar film to use for visual and photographic viewing of the sun.

Real Name
    Ahmed

Dear Donald,

Thanks for your kind reply. What you said is quite true; achieving things by hands has a different flavor. I read a lot of articles about the event and how I can take pictures for it. Although the lens I have is not powerful enough to take good picture, I made my trial and the results are not as bad as I expected.
    Thanks for your encouragement.

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your advice. As mentioned above, I used two dark filters. I appreciate if send me the site of the German company.

Ahmed Shahat

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

Ahmed
    Here is the site:
    http://www.baader-planetarium.com/