Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NASA's "Discovery" Shuttle

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

NASA's "Discovery" Shuttle

NEW IMAGES ADDED BELOW

I have been so enthralled with converting images to black-and-white recently that you would think that I forgot that I also have some color keepers. This one was captured in the first hour that "Discovery" was publicly displayed in its final destination at the museum. If you wonder why it looks so dirty, consider that it has traveled more miles or kilometers than any vehicle in the history of transportation.

C&C always encouraged.

Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th June 2012 at 01:27 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: NASA's "Discovery" Shuttle

Hi Mike,
    IMO this was a Great Craft; developed by a Great Company and funded by a Great Country.

I love this picture because many Photographers would not have taken it from this angle; a keeper for sure.

With regards to how far it's travelled you should see my car. lol

Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice one. Have always loved the shape and grace of a shuttle launch and flight. Unfortunately no more.

John - lets see that car...

Real Name
    John

Bobo,
    I have no picture, would need to take one. Anyhow it's a 20 year old Ford Fiesta, over 200,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. I use it every day back & forth to work. I do however have a new top of the range Ford, for going out and about with my wife, for some reason she does not want to travel in my little car.

Bobo: I remember the very first shuttle landing very well. I was in a shopping mall and was wondering why there was such a crowd outside a store selling televisions. As I joined everyone, I realized they were standing there to watch the upcoming shuttle landing on about 20 televisions displayed in the store window. A few minutes later, all of us were rewarded.

JPS: I agree that you're now obligated to show us the car. With no disrespect, I do have to mention that your car's 200,000 miles pales in comparison to Discovery's 148 million miles.

When my mother donated her old car to a charity, a guy pulled up with a flatbed truck and began getting ready to use the winch to pull the car onboard. When I told him that the car actually runs, he thought I was joking. After starting the car, he quipped, "Yeah, but will it go up the slope needed to get onto the bed." I responded that "This is Florida and everything is so flat here that I really don't know." A minute later drove he drove it onto his truck and we had a good laugh.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th June 2012 at 01:24 PM.

The museum has mostly completed its display of "Discovery" with much improved lighting that seems to be the same as their previous display of "Enterprise." (However, signage pertaining to "Enterprise" has not yet been replaced by signage pertaining to "Discovery.") If you are interested in photographing "Discovery," I recommend going in the afternoon, as the natural light entering the hangar is intrusive in the morning. If you go after 4:00pm, you can also avoid the $15 parking fee, which makes your visit completely free of charge.

This picture is added for comparison with the picture shown above, which was taken before the lighting was installed.

The next image is the obligatory picture that includes the flag, which was not installed when the first picture in this thread was taken.

Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th June 2012 at 03:06 PM.