Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Yellow Field #2

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yellow Field #2

This is the second in my series of 2 images in colour on the subject of a field of rape seed in flower. The first in the series is here.

An interesting comment in that other thread - I didn't know that, in some other countries, it was not acceptable to use the word 'rape' as the name for the crop. I had never heard the name 'canola'.

Anyway so far as this image is concerned, there is no primary focal point and I wonder what your thoughts are about that. For me this is about layers of colour. The scene reminded me of a section of sponge cake with its various layers.

So, your C & C will be appreciated.

Yellow Field #2
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 70mm. ISO100. 1/90 @f16
    Last edited by Donald; 26th May 2012 at 07:00 AM.

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

Re: Yellow Field #2

Donald,

For me, your bottom layer does not add to the scene. What interests me is the interplay between the sky, the distant hills and the yellow field. The curved horizon draws me into the image as if I was surrounded by it. Have you tried cropping away the foreground, and a bit of sky for balance?

Lennart Elg

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Lennart

Is this more what you were think about?

Yellow Field #2

Real Name
    Paul

I can see the idea here Donald and the image is indeed about colour. For me though there just isn't enough, rape fields scream YELLOW!!! at you which somehow I find lacking a bit in this image. I'd be tempted to ramp up saturation and contrast in the rape seed and the sky perhaps so that this becomes more about colour and less about landscape. I might lose half of the lower green strip, it just looks neater to me - might be a colour balance thing. Not easy to capture though, rape seed is in full bloom over here too and I'm scratching my head for locations and decent light. Low directional light just adds a bit of texture which means really early morning shots (bugger that) or shooting on my way to a bar in the evening (plan A). My two euros worth anyway.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

Unfortunately, the red channel looks seriously blown on the histogram

I'd have shot this a stop or more down on exposure, which may also have given a better blue sky colour and given more texture to the rape/canola seed.

I wondered about a half way between the original square crop and the later landscape one, showing just a bit of foreground, as it gives it depth. A further suggestion is to separately process the distant hills (and sky) to get better contrast in them.

Hope that helps,