Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lens bands - do they work?

Real Name
    Fredrik Rodhe

Lens bands - do they work?

Hi,
    I just bought a used Canon 24-105 lens. It's a great lens but has serious zoom creep, which is annoying. I've read about lens bands to remedy this on the net, sold on Ebay, but I've never seen anyone actually using them IRL. So: anyone here with experience? /Fredrik

Real Name
    Roy A Morales jr

Re: Lens bands - do they work?

Short version - I got one - was OK , Did the job - but has draw backs . Yes I would buy another . Not sorry I bought it .
    long version ---
    I got one a few years ago . Seemed to work OK , but it felt tacky [ sticky ] hand held - fine on tripod for birds and insects . This was before the 7 D was released . I go it for the Quantum 70-300 macro .
    The conditions were around 100 degrees in high desert country in Mexico . Weather changed when a thunder storm came thru . With-in a few minutes after getting out of Ram charger you were sweating .
    At night I always look at my lenses and filters - wipe down outside of lenses / Camera and check filters for finger prints . Anyway , small dirt / dust worked it's way under the rubber . [Not a whole lot to do there - I don't speak Spanish enough to keep up with wife / relatives / visitors . The TV only got 4 or 5 channels , so if you did not rent a movie it was play with camera , computer or read .
    It can allow a color change on lens [ not the pictures ]
    Since then I got the 7 D and the 70-200 and the Quantum sits on shelf .
    I also have the bogen long lens support . On a tripod it put enough pressure on lens to stop creep .
    How do you use the lens ? On tripod [ probably not , it is probably your walk about ] If mainly on tripod consider the long lens support . If not get one - cheaper than a pizza .
    If you / your wife / girl friend can use a sewing machine , buy a piece of wide elastic and sew into a loop

Real Name
    Kathy

Have you consider the alternative fixes of a) peeling back the rubber on the focus ring and tightening the screws slightly (1/4 turn or so)? or b) adding a strip or two of tape to the inner barrel? It's only a small amount of additional friction that's needed to fix the creep. For me, the screw fix worked.

Real Name
    Fredrik Rodhe

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Have you consider the alternative fixes of a) peeling back the rubber on the focus ring and tightening the screws slightly (1/4 turn or so)? or b) adding a strip or two of tape to the inner barrel? It's only a small amount of additional friction that's needed to fix the creep. For me, the screw fix worked.
    Thanks fot the tip. I found a tiny screw under a golden plate that was fastned with tape. Is that the one?/Fredrik

Real Name
    Kathy

No. You have to rotate the focus ring until the screws line up through the holes. See:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...6&postcount=41

I think there are three screws altogether.

Real Name
    Roy A Morales jr

Thanks , no problem right now . the rubber boot thing seems to have worked , but no longer use that lens .
    Anyway I book marked it .