Thread: Fiona C&C welcome

Real Name
    Paul

Fiona C&C welcome

From a recent studio shoot with Fiona Jane, does it have impact?

Fiona C&C welcome

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Fiona C&C welcome

i think the image is strong but the pink highlights ( especially on the top of her head) don't work for me.

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Paul!

I like the shot and she sure is a beautiful model! I like the colored rim lighting as well.

And yes, I think it has impact.

If it were my shot, here is what I would be thinking about it:

First, how lucky I would have been to have a model like this in my studio!

Then I think I would have wished that I wouldn’t have had that strand of hair coming around to her nose. Probably the same with the strand across her neck. But I have to assume since I don’t know either way that it just happened randomly when she struck the pose? I’m guessing it may have been a pretty fast paced shoot? I might have chosen to lose a few of the stray strands of hair around her head that is lit by the colored rim lighting. Just to clean it up a bit.

And I would have wished that I would have had her lift and possibly turn her head just enough to see a little more of her iris in her right (camera left) eye, which might have lifted the shadow around her left (camera right) eye a bit. And there seems to be some kind of shadow running from her temple to this shadow.

But all that aside, I would still be very happy with the shot, Paul, and would have been proud to have taken it.

Nice job and thanks for sharing it!

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you both for your comments. This shot doesn't really show the fan blowing the hair which is why there is the stray ones at the front

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Paul,

I am also grateful to Terry because I didn't see some of the things he mentioned.
    I think the dark line from her left eye to hair line is caused by the very low angle flash on her right giving a shadow from the already mentioned wisp of hair curving to her nose. There's possibly a truism here that a fan, long hair and a strongly directional key light cause twice as much cloning to be needed for the odd wisps

Yes it has impact.
    (and yes she's a lovely looking lady)

Here are a few thoughts I had;
    - The bright knuckles at the edges of frame can lead your eye out of frame, although the chainlink necklace tie-ing them together help avoid it.
    - There are a few more 'hair strand' shadows on her chest
    - I might compose the shot, with knuckles intact, a little more top and left to avoid the nearest eye being quite so central in the shot (and lose some of the (almost) blank areas on those two sides)
    - Looking at the histogram of this jpg suggests some black clipping occured earlier in the processing and that the black point was then lowered to lessen the 'black hole' effect this creates

other than that I agree with all Terry's suggestions.

Nice shot and educational for all of us to analyse.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Paul

The one great thing about comments that we make on pictures is that we never know the real intention behind the original idea from the photographer, I know the hair across the face would get comments but I choose it for the very fact, it breaks rules, agree with the wisp around the background could be cleaned up and that will happen before it goes in any comps.
    Please do not think I am one those who do not like bad comments I welcome them, how else do I improve