Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need Help with CS5

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Need Help with CS5

I've saved my RAW files to Tiff, in order to be able to edit them, but now the healing brush and cloning stamp don't work. I've been trying to remove a bird-dot from a photo and nothing happens. I'm using the ap correctly, by the way. Do I have do so something to the Tiff file to reconvert it?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Need Help with CS5

Are you working on the correct layer? If you use an edit layer, have you set the tools to operate on "this layer and below"?

Or, are you holding Alt on your keyboard as you click to start the cloning process.

There shouldn't be any problem as long as you convert to one of the standard forms of Tiff; not one of those weird 'special format Tiff' options which sometimes occur.

Are you directly transferring converted images to your main editing window for immediate editing, or saving them to a holding folder for future use?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Another "gotcha" is if a previous selection is still in place (if in doubt do a ctrl+D to deselect).

Interestingly, why are you saving in the larger *.TIFF format instead of Photoshop's native *.PSD format?

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Thanks, guys. I'm saving the files to Tiff because I want them to be editable. When I bring them back into the editing space, they aren't. I'm not sure what you mean by the correct layer, Grumpy. Also, I am indeed Alt/clicking on the appropriate area before attempting the clone stamp or healing brush.

I only slenderly understand layers at this point.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by lightdrunk View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'm saving the files to Tiff because I want them to be editable. When I bring them back into the editing space, they aren't.
    I'm not following you on that one ... *.PSD files are just as editable as any other file, including *.TIFFs

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by lightdrunk View Post
    I only slenderly understand layers at this point.
    How about posting us a screen shot of your layers palette when the problem is occurring?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

When you open PS, the image layer is "locked" so you certainly cannot run the clone tool in CS6. THe healing brush does work, though. If you are not using layers (something you should learn about; really one of Photoshop's most important featuers), I don't understand the healing brush issue, unless it is one of the scenarios Colin has described.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

so hard to tell and help as so manu different reason can be.
    I hought CS5 last Christmas, and very soon I bought 4 book on photoshop, layers and now can play something on it.
    Still, need to go back to the book very often.
    And I gradually why people said that there is a steep learning curve in photoshop.
    (1) hundred, thousand of ways to do things
    (2) We don't use it too often.
    (3) Some books are not very learner friendly. The procedure are far too vain.
    and actually, photoshop comes with a formal instruction which I consider it should be the most detail, the only aspect it is not better than other photoshop book is: They are not project based in layout. They are only on instructional base.
    go back to the manual and step by step, you can sort it out.
    good luck.
    Before I buy CS5, it attracted me. People's comment scared me. AFter I bought it, it trouble me, frustrate me a lot. Now, I start loving it and get more from it.....