Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro lens

Real Name
    pinaki

Macro lens

I don't have macro lens.I want buy a budget macro lens for my NIKON D60.Lens should have autofocus and wider max aperture.Can you suggest one.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Macro lens

Hi,
    That's a bit of a contradiction in terms. Macro lenses are, by their very nature, a bit on the pricey side. Also, anything faster that f2.8 is pretty rare. Also be careful, because a number of zooms are referred to as 'macro' but they aren't really. To be a proper macro you want a prime that will focus 1:1. Focusing distance is always given from the focal plane (near the back of the camera) so, with a short focal length lens you can end up with the lens getting in the way of your subject! Most people like the 80mm - 105mm range.
    All I can suggest is have a look at the second-hand scene (like eBay), but you need to prepare to pay in the region of GBP100. One way you might save some money is by having a non-autofocus lens. Most serious photographers don't use it for macro work anyway.

It would help if you can explain exactly what you wish to photograph; and your maximum budget.

Real Name
    Dan

Lens should have autofocus and wider max aperture.
    It really would be helpful if you explain what you want to do with it. If you want to use it for other purposes in addition to macro, that might steer you to different choices. If you are going to do only macro, wider apertures are not much use, since DOF is razor-thin at macro distances, and even f/2.8, which is a common max aperture on macro lenses, is wider open that I use. I rarely use either of my macro lenses wider than f/8.

It would also be helpful to specify your budget. New macro lenses are not cheap. E.g., the Tamron 90mm is about $500, I think. Used might be the way to go.

Real Name
    Richard

The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF SP Di macro lens is less expensive than the Nikon macro lenses. However, it does provide very good image quality.

http://orchideen-kartierung.de/Macro100E.html

Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 Macro lens is the least expensive of the real macro lenses. It is labeled under the Pentax, Vivitar and other brands. It is supposed to have decent image quality but a rather flimsy build. It provides a 1:2 image ratio and 1:1 with the included adapter.

Real Name
    randy

I bought a 90mm Tamron macro six months ago, I think was the best $500 that I have spent on my kit. It is also useful for portraits and as a medium telephoto. You will find that while doing the macro shots, the use of autofocus is not really your friend. When they say the depth of focus is thin as a razor, they are not kidding. The autofocus can, and usually does focus at the wrong place. Manual focus is much more accurate.

You also find that most of the decent shots are around f/8 to f/11, although the tamron does from f/2.8 to f/36 or so.

If your D60 is the same as my D90, the aperture must be controlled thru the camera, not the lens.

Real Name
    John

This link will include most of the discussions on macro photography. Hope it helps.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...hotography.htm