Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Big wheels can't keep on turnin' ....

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Big wheels can't keep on turnin' ....

More from the rail heritage centre. It was suggested I go back and take some tighter shots. So I did. Hope these are of some interest.
    It was suggested that a few B&W shots could be interesting. Well I have to honestly admit that I just am not satisfied with what I produce with PS when converting to B&W from colour. Just no sparkle! If I could justify the 200 dollar expense I would go for a copy of Nik Silver pro and then maybe ....
    Of course I would have to convince the holder of the purse strings that this outlay would be of critical importance to our continued well being and survival. Don't rate my chances of pulling this off.
    Thanks for viewing

Last edited by ucci; 11th May 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Big wheels can't keep on turnin' ....

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Well I have to honestly admit that I just am not satisfied with what I produce with PS when converting to B&W from colour. Just no sparkle! If I could justify the 200 dollar expense I would go for a copy of Nik Silver pro and then maybe ....
    That's a lot of wheels!

Why not spend the equivalent of £12.99 instead and get this. It's all based on converting to B & W using PS. It was (and still is) my bible, even though I am now using Nik's SEP2. The principles are still the same.

That looks like an interesting book, Donald; and a good price. Only one negative review and that complains about the book concentrating too much on processing.

I may invest; but, hopefully, there won't be a lot of spare time for reading until next winter!

For me, a lot of B&W conversion is excessively processed. Like some HDR images.

But, Ken, for B&W to look right for me, you do need the correct shot. And while those wheels are fine in colour I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about doing B&W conversions with them.

Maybe a shot of just one wheel, or a pair, might work better. Perhaps #5.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you Mr D and Goeff for viewing and for posting helpful advice. Will follow up suggested book, thank you Mr D.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ken,

Viewed as a group in the post, these don't look anything special, but viewed bigger in the Lytebox and each has merit in some way. I like the compositions in all of them, and while I do see some minor PP issues with a couple; in #2, the shadows look a little too bright to my eyes and #4 is just very bright, on the whole I really like these.

Probably my favourite are the big "drivers" in #3, caught with sun angle highlighting their textured rust and milled finish.

I think you missed an opportunity to shoot at 18mm (or wider if you can) from an axle stub looking along the axle and through the spokes towards the inside of the far wheel - now that's a shot I'd like to get - but maybe you have one?

Cheers,