Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: yongnuo YN468II + canon 18-200 lens af aid "problem"

Real Name
    David

yongnuo YN468II + canon 18-200 lens af aid "problem"

Hello,

I usually took photos with my old 18-55 lens and the YN486 flash. I have no problems with the AF aid from flash. But I have experienced an anoying problem when I bought the 18-200 canon lens. As when I'm working in wide apperture (18mm) and the object is near the AF Aid stays over the middle AF camera point so I can't use the af aid in such situation. On the other side if Apperture is more than 24mm or the item to focus on is a bit far away, it works fine as in the first case the af aid beam is bigger and in the second the af aid laser beam stay in the middle so the camera AF middle point coincide with it.

any ideas why this happends?.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: yongnuo YN468II + canon 18-200 lens af aid "problem"

Hello David,

Just so we get the terminology correct "apertures" are numbers on your camera/lens like f/5.6, f/11, etc. which relate to the diameter of the iris. You were describing the zoom's focal length setting at 18 and 24mm.

When a lens is used at the wider angles of view provided by say, 18mm, and the subject distance is close, it is not uncommon for the diameter of the lens (and any hood fitted) to shield the focus points from the on-camera AF assist LEDs. While your flash, which is not Canon, may use its AF assist LED, I do wonder if the camera doesn't recognise this and is just applying 'the usual rules' and that is causing your problem.

I am being non-specific because;
    a) I am not a Canon user, and
    b) I don't have an external flash with AF assist myself,
    so I don't have any practical experience to advise from, I am going from theory and guesswork - but trying to help.

You may have noticed we prefer to use first names here at CiC, we'd be grateful (and not keep asking), if you could Edit your Profile and add your first name in the Real Name field plus a Location (in the Location field).

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    David

Re: yongnuo YN468II + canon 18-200 lens af aid "problem"

Hello,

Thanks for your fast response. And sorry for the inconvenience of the naming I use, I'll try to change ASAP.

I have discovered a few things about configuring my camera that maybe are the responsible for this issue.

I'll check this afternoon. I'll comment here if I find the solution .