Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In my backyard.

Real Name
    Louise

In my backyard.

Best of 50, these littles guys move fast!Yesterday morning I had small visitors in my backyard. As they seem to like the seeds I put out and accepted my presence, I dicided to give it a shot.In my backyard.
    White-crowned Sparrow in migration to northern Québec where he wil be nesting.
    Last edited by wlou; 8th May 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Louise

With white border-In my backyard.

Your opinion, what looks better,with border or without?In my backyard.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: With white border-In my backyard.

You have been hooked.

Nice shots, both look good to me though one does not often see framed bird shots.

Real Name
    Louise

Thanks Bobo, I like it on the grey background. I wanted to try the white frame because I have seen it here done quite often and I have just figure out a way to do it.

Real Name
    Kevin

Great shot. I like without the border the best, but I think maybe a different color border might work better for me. Maybe the same color as the grass? What were you using for light?

Real Name
    Ron Atkinson

I like the border, with this shot I would do about a 5 pixel stroke around the image in white, then increase the canvas size by about 100 pixels, I took the liberty to do it and show you the difference. I hope you don't mind.
    It is a nice shot.

In my backyard.

Real Name
    Ron Atkinson

I think I am becoming obsessed with borders, after all an artist usually hangs his paintings in a mount which creates a border and when I look at images now they seem naked to me without a border. Other modifications I make to the one I created for you is to put a diadonal live from the corners which tends to give a 3d effect, making the image stand out.

In my backyard.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice shot Louise, as Bobo said......you are now a gonner, hooked into the chase. These little guys are starting to move through here now as well.

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Shooter View Post
    Great shot. I like without the border the best, but I think maybe a different color border might work better for me. Maybe the same color as the grass? What were you using for light?
    Here is one with green frame? Not so much. What do you think?:In my backyard.

Real Name
    Louise

Hello Kevin, your question about the light took me by surprise. I had to return to the original and check the metadata. It was actually my first early morning shots outside with the flash. Of course it is also early morning light, my favorite method of lighting. The morning or evening sun give great results.
    The picture was tacken at: 1/2000 sec.,
    f/3.5
    100mm
    ISO200
    shutter priority
    100mm F 2.8 Macro
    It is not a SOOC (straight out of camera shot). A big crop, all usual ajustments for clarity, luminosity, vignetting, etc.

Real Name
    james

I like the border as well. Great shot!

Real Name
    Louise

Warning, snake, if they scare you dont look. This is a garden vareity, non poisonous, and very small!In my backyard.
    Last edited by wlou; 9th May 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Real Name
    Louise

Hello Ron, I like my snake whithout frame better I think. How do you do your frames? I did mine with a little 5$ program for "Collages". It is extremely simple, ok, tiny, and not fancy like yours.

Real Name
    Louise

This mornin, after a big thunderstorm, I found this Wood Anemone behind my toolshed. Armed with my tripod, manfrotto head for macro, macro lens 100mm, and flash, I proceded. You should have seen the contortions I put that tripod throught. Of as a bonus, there was a little bug on the flower that came to see what all the light and motion was about. The bug is a smaller than a grain of rice. Can you see the little yellow bug?In my backyard.
    Last edited by wlou; 29th May 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Real Name
    Louise

Still cant see the bug, here it is!
    In my backyard.

Real Name
    Louise

In my backyard. B&W,Flash.

I said a while ago that I would learn to use my flash, I spent the morning experimenting with Flash/Sync Speed and it was most interesting. It was overcast, it may have been too dark. Here is one of my flowers,the original is in colour and it looks brighter than the B&W.Is it any good?Your comments would be appreciated.In my backyard.
    Last edited by wlou; 26th July 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Real Name
    Louise

Good morning sunshine. In my backyard.

Here is the last of my flowers for this year in my garden. The summer was so hot and dry everything flowered at one and was very much affected by the heat. For this picture I have applied some sharpening and light corrections. Can the result be improuved? Comments are welcome as it helps to sharpen my skills.
    In my backyard.

Real Name
    Louise

In my backyard. First frost. B&W.

We had our first frost, fall is here! I took this image in early morning. The seeds are all that is left on this flower. It is the size of the tip of your finger. I wanted to capture the frost on it, it had already started to revert to its liquid form. Your comments are appreciated.In my backyard.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: In my backyard. First frost. B&W.

Dramatic.

I wondered about going to a 1:1 (square) ratio based on the existing right hand side and top and bottom. It would cur some from the left but would have, I think, the advantage of cutting out some of that big block of black in the bottom left-hand corner. I'd question whether that big block of black actually helps the image.

Real Name
    Louise

Re: In my backyard. First frost. B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Dramatic.

I wondered about going to a 1:1 (square) ratio based on the existing right hand side and top and bottom. It would cur some from the left but would have, I think, the advantage of cutting out some of that big block of black in the bottom left-hand corner. I'd question whether that big block of black actually helps the image.
    Donald, as your suggestion, 1:1 (square). I also lighten the outside, is that what you were referring to?In my backyard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast