Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fire Island Lighthouse

Real Name
    Paul

Fire Island Lighthouse

Fire Island Lighthouse
    Fire Island Lighthouse
    These shots were taken yesterday morning with a 10 stop ND filter so I could capture the movement of the clouds that were moving into the frame.

The exposure for each picture was about 30 seconds.

I will try to come back and get there earlier on another semi cloudy morning and capture the gold, purple and orange colors in the clouds during sunrise.

Real Name
    Mario

Re: Fire Island Lighthouse

I like the first image but personally I'd have shoot the tower straighter. As for the second, what about a crop of the window and the nearby part of the sky?.

Remember you can also combine multiple exposures to simulate the effect of a ND filter. You will also get less noise (Which is not visible at these tiny image sizes you posted anyway).

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Fire Island Lighthouse

Hi Paul,

#1 for me too, but ideally with a few pixels cropped off the bottom so we don't see the next white band. Normally I might agree with Mario about the angle, but actually, I don't mind on this.

#2 needs the exposure raising on just the white part of the building and I'm not sure that framing works for me, possibly because of the crack 'complicating' the composition (cover it with a thumb in front of your monitor to see what I mean).

Hope that helps,