Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Time Out

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Time Out

    Time Out

    13 Seconds @ F4 @ ISO 200 @ 42mm (Best viewed LARGE)

  2. #2
    Momo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    177
    Real Name
    Darren

    Re: Time Out

    Wow... pretty darn sharp for 13 seconds. I would expect the boat to be totally blurred, but it's not bad at all. I like the blue light in the sky... perhasps the moon trying to peek out?

    Nicely done... very cool. Also, not sure if you planned this or not, but you can follow the lights on the hill in an arc to line up with the arc created by the contour of the boat.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    Wow... pretty darn sharp for 13 seconds. I would expect the boat to be totally blurred, but it's not bad at all. I like the blue light in the sky... perhasps the moon trying to peek out?

    Nicely done... very cool. Also, not sure if you planned this or not, but you can follow the lights on the hill in an arc to line up with the arc created by the contour of the boat.
    Thanks Darren,

    The boat was moving (I can see it between subsequent shots), but not much over shorter time periods (not much surface wind, but much higher winds aloft). Yes it is the mood giving us some dramatic lighting tonight.

    Generally I shoot a number of compositions, and then pick the ones I like at the end

  4. #4
    Tony M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    422
    Real Name
    Tony Marshall

    Re: Time Out

    Great photo.

    Colin, where was it taken?

    I note in the EXIF that a flash was fired. Is that right? Did it have any effect? (The EXIF says "return light detected", so I suppose it did...)

    Tony

  5. #5
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Time Out

    Very nice composition Colin, with excellent reflections. Is that a lighted windmill on the right side of the shore?

  6. #6
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,499
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: Time Out

    Simply stunning.

  7. #7
    MilT0s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    694
    Real Name
    Miltos

    Re: Time Out

    Very nice!
    Colin I like this one better because the moonlight highlights are less distracting.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    Great photo.

    Colin, where was it taken?

    I note in the EXIF that a flash was fired. Is that right? Did it have any effect? (The EXIF says "return light detected", so I suppose it did...)

    Tony
    Thanks Tony,

    My workshop & studio are in the port area of Nelson, so we're surrounded by water. This was taken about 10 seconds walk away (you know it's got to be good when the exposure is longer than the travel time!).

    Yes - I used a flash (one of my new 600EX-RTs & ST-E3-RT) - and yes - definitely made a difference (the boat was quite close).

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Very nice composition Colin, with excellent reflections. Is that a lighted windmill on the right side of the shore?
    Thanks Frank,

    Yes - it is a windmill (part of Founders park - a "historical themed park"). Despite not having any "sail cloth" (is that the right words?) on the blades, it still turns whenever there 's a strong breeze.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Simply stunning.
    Thanks Sharon

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Very nice!
    Colin I like this one better because the moonlight highlights are less distracting.
    Thanks Miltos

  12. #12
    Tony M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    422
    Real Name
    Tony Marshall

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    My workshop & studio are in the port area of Nelson, so we're surrounded by water. This was taken about 10 seconds walk away (you know it's got to be good when the exposure is longer than the travel time!).
    I've never been to Nelson; some day I hope to go on one of my visits to NZ.

    Here's another view of Nelson (and surrounds). Hope you like it. I sometimes imagine I'm the astronaut hanging off the edge saying "I wanna go home!"

    Time Out

    Tony

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    I've never been to Nelson; some day I hope to go on one of my visits to NZ.

    Here's another view of Nelson (and surrounds). Hope you like it. I sometimes imagine I'm the astronaut hanging off the edge saying "I wanna go home!"

    Time Out
    Those astronauts get all the cool jobs

  14. #14
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,646
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Time Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    I sometimes imagine I'm the astronaut hanging off the edge saying "I wanna go home!"
    No, what the guy on the left is saying is, "I see Colin Southern's still down there stamping about because the new 1DX hasn't arrived yet."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •