Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Picture Salvage

Real Name
    Kevin

Picture Salvage

I liked this picture. Didn't have a problem with the wings being blurred. It shows movement. But the tail feathers were also blurred, which still shows movement, and I wanted feather detail. These things come up from time to time. This time I tried a sketch software for the first time to try to salvage the image. Used a blend from sketch to photo. Thought this could make the problem area look more like a choice instead of a mistake. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

The Picture.
    Picture Salvage

The salvage attempt.
    Picture Salvage

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Picture Salvage

Kevin,

Honestly, the tail feathers being a bit blurred is completely fine for me. Birds use their tail feathers in flight just as much as their wings, so I think that's a lofty goal to be able to get them perfectly sharp every time...

Though, I'd love to get a shot like this in general, so a tiny little "issue" like that would be quickly overlooked for me!

Nice shots - keep 'em coming. Can't wait to see if our hummingbirds return this year and I can try again here.

- Bill

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Kevin

Totally agree with Bill. The original has nice color , a much more interesting and colored bokeh, and the blur is exactly what I'd expect for wings going at a million times per nanosecond- would look unnatural if completely frozen. If you'd like to keep the second image, I'd take it all the way a try a B&W version. Well done

I think the Jiro Effect may be what you are looking for Kevin. Here is the link

Here are my results, of using the process:

Picture Salvage

It does start to bring out the feathers on the under body and give a bit of definition to the tail and wings.

IMHO
    Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 2nd May 2012 at 04:31 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the comments and I know I do get a little picky sometimes. The Jiro Effect does look useful, and also looks like another good reason to get a better photo editing software than Aperture.