Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Critique Requested

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Critique Requested

Critique Requested

D800, Sigma 24-70 F2.8, F22@200.
    Last edited by lightdrunk; 1st May 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Critique Requested

Doug

The best way I can make my point is to show you an example of what I mean. I hope you don't mind. Please say if you do and I'll take it down.

I felt there were bits at each edge that weren't needed in the image; i.e. that big building at the right and that tarpaulin/sheet that's creeping in on the left. As well as that, it struck me that by cropping in much tighter on the wrecks would throw more attention on to them, which is what the story of the image is - those abandoned vehicles.

So, I cropped your image at a 5:4 (i.e. 10" x 8" ratio) and got this.

Just one option for you to think about.

I think it's a good social documentary image, telling us about life in that part of the world.

Critique Requested

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Thanks, Donald. I'm going to reshoot this later in the afternoon next sunny day. I'm going to shift POV to the right and move the tarp out of the way (if the farmer doesn't run me off by then).

Real Name
    Soma

Depending upon which direction you're facing it might be worth your while to get there dawn-ish.
    I would also get much closer and shoot from a crouch about 2 -3 feet off the ground up at the truck.
    I envy you, this is the kind of scene that you could come back and shoot at all times of day and night/all seasons of the year. From the looks of it those trucks aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Real Name
    Andrew

Ditto what Soma said. I see too much wasted space in air and grass that doesn't contribute to the photo. Get in close. Fill the frame.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

How about this? (be sure to click on image for bigger / better view).

Critique Requested
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 2nd May 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    Ditto what Soma said. I see too much wasted space in air and grass that doesn't contribute to the photo. Get in close. Fill the frame.
    +1 to the above - It might also help to hide the buildings in the background which are interfering with the front truck - a bit like a lamppost sticking up behind someone's head.

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Thanks, Soma. If I go at dawn I'll have to shoot everything from the opposite direction, which, of course, is a fine idea.d And you're right, the trucks aren't going anywhere. There was an old collapsed barn with a wonderfully intact cupola on that site, but it is, alas, long gone.

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Thanks, Dan.

Doug,
    Lots of good ideas given here. Mr. Southern,s view helps to make the image a little more surreal. That helps to move the photo from junk-yard to past way of life.
    Tim

Real Name
    Soma

+1 to what Donald said, I was just elaborating on that. I'm not sure why I prefer Farm/barn shots at sunrise as opposed to sunset...perhaps because farmers are early risers?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Two points to add to the above.

If you can shoot the image when the light is going toward the front of the trucks and buildings so the hood (bonnet) of the truck and the buildings are not in such deep shadow. Maybe morning if the sun swings to that angle.?

As already said, a lower angle and also try to get less space between the two trucks. This would require you to move to your left from where this was shot. The trucks should almost be touching but clearly separated by a small strip of grass.

Otherwise; nicely done. I envy you the subject matter. Lots of opportunities with these subjects. Try to avoid a load of rock salt if the farmer gets too cheesed off!

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Thanks, Tbob. Going to retry this the next sunny day.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Some Fill onto the front grill of the foreground truck would enhance.

That could be achieved by two exposures and HDRI (High Dynamic Range Imaging) in Post Production.

A purist would use Flash (need two I would guess) or a very large reflector.

WW

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Hi Doug,

I hope I will not offend, but that image is not working at all for me. Are to many things on the same picture.

Get in close. Fill the frame.
    As a personal chioce, I will shoot it from ground level, a bit up, at the widest focal lenght, from 1-1.5 meters away. Also, I think F22 is too much, I don't think you want to have everything in sharpest focus.

Near the foreground car, looks like a dirt road. I am tempted to use it in composition, like a leading line to those barns and logs from the right part of the image.

Hope it helps,
    Leo