Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Grangemouth Oil Refinery

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Grangemouth Oil Refinery

Not at all convinced about this. So your views will be welcomed.

This is Scotland's only oil refinery. It's one of biggest in Europe. As well as producing all types of fuel, it produces various plastics etc.

What I didn't want to do was try to replicate the very many high quality, 'industrial' enterprise type images that exist. Some of the images of this place at night are spectacular.

I wanted it 'just' to be what it it is (a place that lots of people work and make things), located in its environment. It's just part of our landscape and we've all become used to it.

I wasn't at all sure of the branches of the tree coming in above it. So, whatever you have to say will be appreciated.

Grangemouth Oil Refinery
    40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 41mm. ISO100. 0.3@f22. 3-stop GND.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th April 2012 at 10:31 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Grangemouth Oil Refinery

Donald this photo is quite out of proportion for me. The refinery is far too small compared to the rest. If it's the subject I think it should take up more than the 10% it does. Your framing with the trees and bushes dominates the shot leaving the refinery an inconsequential mono-toned part of the photo. Even the top tree branches are void of any interest and there are no clouds to help. This one just doesn't do anything for me personally but if you have some I'd like to see any up-close high contrast night shots of the place.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Well, I guess it could be seen as having an environmental 'edge' to it;

"Look, humans made all that nasty stuff over there, belching out smoke and steam and now there are no leaves on the trees."

So if you were intending to impart something along those lines, it sort of works.

Even if elements of the refinery were judged by some as 'picturesque' (e.g. the curves of a cooling tower, up close), it hardly applies to the (distant) scene as a whole.

I'm rambling, must be bedtime.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Donald: I myself quite like it, it is that someone would see if standing at that spot. Some feel that the image should reflect some sort of guideline, what happens is anyone could shoot that image and they would all be the same. You shot it in a different way, what felt good to you, now some will have a hard time understanding why it does not look like others of the same place. I donot think the refinery as important as the feel that the image gives. Again I like it.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I think the concept is excellent, Donald. Not sure about Gimp's capabilities but if you can manage it, making the refinery significantly larger would make a powerful image IMHO.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

All your comments sum up perfectly the sorts of things I was feeling. It is very helpful to hear them from other sources.

There are times when you can try to be too different from the 'mainstream' images of a significant place (landscape, building, industrial complex) and it just backfires.

For me, Donald, there is only one thing wrong with that photo - The title.

Call it something different, like for example, Branches (with unusual background) and I'm sure the responses would be different.

It certainly works for me.

The alternative, I suppose, would be to crop (preferably zoom) a lot closer and use a different size ratio, like 3 x 2.

But if you specifically want a square crop, you have a good shot there.

Real Name
    Bobo

This is what you had to work with and if that is how it comes out that is fine with me.

Personally, I like it. Makes me want to look past the foreground and look at things in the distance and wonder what this and that is.

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

It is a very good image.
    I would like to find a place for it on my wall.

"I wanted it 'just' to be what it it is (a place that lots of people work and make things), located in its environment. It's just part of our landscape and we've all become used to it."

You succeeded

"There are times when you can try to be too different from the 'mainstream' images of a significant place (landscape, building, industrial complex) and it just backfires."

Andy Wahol, Monet, Ansel Adams Lou Reed and a millions of others choose to be different.
    I choose to be different and different I will be, you don't have to like it, nobody has to like it. If you want to be the same as everyone else chuck your camera gear away and we will elect ONE person to take the Photographs we all will enjoy.