Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dreaming on the Shoulder of Giants

Real Name
    Ali

Dreaming on the Shoulder of Giants

I know I should have cloned out the water bottle but I couldn't change the reality

Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th July 2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: correct typo

Re: Dreaming on the Shoulder of Giants

Alis,

This is an awesome picture! I love the contrast with the green balloon, and the cloudy picture in the window. The water bottle could be cloned out, yes, but it's still a great picture. The concrete on the bottom of the picture seems a little bright to me, but maybe that's just my computer here at work I love this!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th July 2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: correct typo in title

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterman View Post
    Alis,

This is an awesome picture! I love the contrast with the green balloon, and the cloudy picture in the window. The water bottle could be cloned out, yes, but it's still a great picture. The concrete on the bottom of the picture seems a little bright to me, but maybe that's just my computer here at work I love this!
    I agree nice green balloon agaisnt the blue window...Wouldnt have even really noticed the water bottle....the steps on the left do look a little blown....

IMO it would make an awesome pic if you could clone out the statue and its pedastal and the hanging light fixture....and the hand rail...and then crop of a little on the left so the next windows frame isnt showing...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th July 2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: correct typo in title

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterman View Post
    Alis,

Thansk, Shutterman. I agree about the concrete but this is from a RAW file and I can definitely fix that. I shot this yesterday around noon and did minimal processing on it. At the time I took the picture, I did not know the sky shows up on the window! That is why when this morning I looked at the picture, I got too excited and posted it here right away

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    I agree nice green balloon agaisnt the blue window...Wouldnt have even really noticed the water bottle....the steps on the left do look a little blown....

IMO it would make an awesome pic if you could clone out the statue and its pedastal and the hanging light fixture....and the hand rail...and then crop of a little on the left so the next windows frame isnt showing...
    Hi Kevin and thanks for the comments. I agree. We were just talking about the rudely (!) cut statue and the fact that some of the lines on the wall are not straight and I thought I can clone most of the stuff out as you suggested and make it a tighter crop also. I will have to fix the blown out concrete too. These will be my assignment for tonight plus any other comments I get on it before then

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Ali

With a little bit of delay, here is what I came up with. I can see a few problems in the perspective myself, but it took me an hour to do the cloning and I almost lost my wrist

Comments?

Real Name
    António Correia

Great work Alis.
    I saw the image the other day but I forgot to comment.
    I do like the black and white version.
    Keep the good work

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Great work Alis.
    I saw the image the other day but I forgot to comment.
    I do like the black and white version.
    Keep the good work
    Thanks, Antonio!

These are really great photos. I like the original and the part B&W crop. It was a challenging exposure with the sun and the shadow but it doubt it could be improved. The interesting part about the original photo is the boy w/ balloon and the statue. I like the way they are facing different directions - its like they are both thinking but different subjects. The balloon and sky in the window seem to be a reflection on the boy's thoughts. My only suggestion is to crop out a lot of the steps - these are bright and almost become another subject - a distraction really.

Possibly try a cropped version showing the boy and statue and less of the steps. It would be really great if the text could be emphasized a little. The words could become somewhat of a comment on what the boy and statue are thinking.

Also, maybe try a variant with the boy, window, and balloon in color and the rest of the photo in B&W - its basically B&W anyway.

Again, great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    These are really great photos. I like the original and the part B&W crop. It was a challenging exposure with the sun and the shadow but it doubt it could be improved. The interesting part about the original photo is the boy w/ balloon and the statue. I like the way they are facing different directions - its like they are both thinking but different subjects. The balloon and sky in the window seem to be a reflection on the boy's thoughts. My only suggestion is to crop out a lot of the steps - these are bright and almost become another subject - a distraction really.

Possibly try a cropped version showing the boy and statue and less of the steps. It would be really great if the text could be emphasized a little. The words could become somewhat of a comment on what the boy and statue are thinking.

Also, maybe try a variant with the boy, window, and balloon in color and the rest of the photo in B&W - its basically B&W anyway.

Again, great photos. Thanks for sharing.
    Good suggestions, John. Thanks!

The main reason I cropped the statue out was that this was taken during a rally and there were a big crowd on those steps and on the other side of the statue. If I could get the whole statue may be I could include it in a version.

But I think if it made you think and imagine all of the things you suggested, it is doing it's job! I know the boys mother went crazy about it and wants a large print of it now!

Thanks, again!