Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Historypin...

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Historypin...

A few days ago I stumbled on a great little app for the smartphone. It uses your location to find (local) historical pictures of that area.

I live in Manchester (UK) but I was born in London. Some of the pictures from where I was born are amazing.

If you're into historical photography or just the history of your local area then this is a site/app for you,

http://www.historypin.com/

You can upload your own photos (historic or recent) and they will be displayed.

I should add that you do not need a smartphone but it makes it a lot of fun.

Real Name
    Myra

Re: Historypin...

That's really interesting. One of these days, I might get around to posting some 70+ year old photos that I have on file of our family. Thanks!

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Do it Myra. Some of the stuff I've seen on it here in Manchester is incredibly interesting.

Quite surprised that nobody seems very interested in this. Oh well.

Real Name
    Myra

I have a few albums full of old photos. The local camera shop has a program called "Shoebox" that I plan to buy. All I have to do is sort the photos by size and they will scan and put them on a disc for me. Cost will be far, far less than buying a decent copier. Also, I will be able to download the photos at home and burn discs for relatives.

There are likely quite a few history buffs here who have just not noticed your post yet.

Real Name
    Richard

Historypin was the first app I downloaded when I bought my smartphone... Its great!