Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The destruction and the destroyer

Real Name
    Paul

The destruction and the destroyer

A week ago I posted a Nutria. I had little knowledge and had only seen one once before. Since then I have started to see exactly what these little vermin are doing to the echo system and thought I would document what I have seen.
    This first image shows the devestation. The muddy area and water is normally solid cattails that house the Red-winged blackbird, wrens, green Heron, Virginia Rail and others. As well as giving the ducks a place to nest. The few RWBB that are here are trying to nest in trees. The Nutria in this image is a sub adult.

The culprit...."Who me?"

The baby

Caught in the act.

Real Name
    Homer

Re: The destruction and the destroyer

Maybe we could train them to eat papyrus and purple loosestrife; those invasive plants have crowded out most of the cattail swamps here in New England!

Real Name
    Nigel

Interesting set of images Paul. Never heard of them before. Ugly aren't they!

Real Name
    Andrew

I saw a program on the damage these giant rodents have done in the southern U.S. People should be out shooting them now before it's to late to do anything about them. If they have spread that far though it's probably already too late. Being from South America and not hibernating hopefully they won't go too much further north. Locations all over the world have been negatively effected by humans relocating species from overseas locations. It's too bad.

Real Name
    Paul

Sorry for the delay in response, thanks guys. I will respond in greater detail when I return home. Hopefully I will return home today and not find my jeep half on blocks and the othere half in the mud. I hope it fell on those little S.O.Bs. I am thinking it must have because after all the work they took nothing. They just left me p%$#ed off with with a buch of work ahead.

nice documentary set Paul!
    Nutria is quite common near here, they usually live along the rivers, and I do not know about many and deep damages to the envhironment from these guys... but i can be wrong...
    they migrated (I suppose) to the shores of rivers passing trough the cities. it is very common to see many nutrias under the "Ponte Vecchio" in Florence
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_Vecchio
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqioU95GMW0

they are quite similar to big rats, that are also present in the cities but they are less visible...

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you Nicola, I hope for what ever reason they are not causing the damage there as you say. They certainly are here. The habitat they destroy has an effect on many of our local birds and animals.