Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What do people think of the Nikon D800?

Real Name
    Steve

What do people think of the Nikon D800?

I think it is a marvelous camera; effectively the worlds cheapest medium format dslr. (controversial)

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/index.htm

The removal of the Moire filter is probably something Canon could consider.

Real Name
    Darren

Re: What do people think of the Nikon D800?

Well, I can hardly wait to get my hands on one. From what I have read, and from the photos I have seen taken with the D800, it's a pretty sweet piece of kit. I wish I could give a review.

Are you referring to the D800e?

Real Name
    Steve

I've seen a picture on Fotki Darren and the photographer said his D800 has indeed got an AA filter; so it must be the D800e that I referred to.

Taken by Donny who is a professional photographer and I think he takes some remarkable images.

http://forum.fotki.com/fotkicom/1172...o/grwdsgdqrdd/
    Last edited by arith; 13th April 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Sounds terrific, except for that AF issue with the 24/1.4 Ming Thein writes about. Hopefully it's just teething issues of a new model. http://blog.mingthein.com/tag/nikon-d800/

I spent the morning at Nikon. Ostensibly, to collect my replacement D800, and a PC-E 85/2.8 Micro. However, it turns out the replacement D800 exhibits the SAME autofocus issue – namely, with wide angle lenses, the center and right side AF points yield in focus images, the left side bank is way out. This is especially obvious with the 24/1.4 G. We also tried their NPS loaner demo units and their D800E sample. The results were mostly the same – all of the D800s showed identical results. The D800E was a bit better, but still noticeably soft on one side. It gets worse: I’ve had a number of emails from people with cameras in the same serial number block – below 1000 – and the 24/1.4, who are finding the same thing. Apparently it is a serious issue, because my NPS rep told me that HQ has asked for updates and is looking into it on the production line.

Real Name
    Andrew

Not that this has any bearing on the quality of the camera, or the company itself, I was just curious.... Is this the same camera model that they released a promo video for that was actually shot with a Canon 5D, and are allegedly settling privately with that photographer out of court for stealing his work?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Not that this has any bearing on the quality of the camera, or the company itself, I was just curious.... Is this the same camera model that they released a promo video for that was actually shot with a Canon 5D, and are allegedly settling privately with that photographer out of court for stealing his work?
    I think that was actually the Nycon d800; a cheap knockoff version. Nikon would never be so stupid as to hire a marketing firm that was bone headed enough to use a competitors camera and steal copyrighted material then proceed to spread it all over the internet.

Would they? Aren't all corporations godlike organizations who only do good?

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Aren't all corporations godlike organizations who only do good?
    Geez, thanks for the reply Trevor - I was starting to think that people had maybe taken offense to my comment! I WAS really just curious, as I had heard rumors about that happening, but after I re-read it, it is kind of funny isn't it!?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I do find it sort of queer that with all the creative people slathering at the bit to try out the new camera that Nikon couldn't have passed out ten cameras and said basically" Here give this a try and see what sort of interesting stuff you can come up with" and use that for their ad rather than farming it out to some agency who couldn't care less about the actual camera but just fudged together some on hand video and images (It would seem).

Real Name
    Mars

I thought I would chime in here for those like me who are "in the process of learning more about dslrs and want to take the plunge into the FX world" type of amateurs.

I made the upgrade from the D7000 for varies reasons that I won't get into unless asked (), but I was quite nervous before actually getting my hands on it. There was the technical guide that kept mentioning tripods and "optimal" quality, the forum rats (other sites) that kept mentioning the MP count and how impossible it would be to use, and the little voice inside my head saying "you're getting in over your head".

Once I got my hands on mine I was extremely pleased to find that those worries, while not entirely untrue, were definitely exaggerated. It's a wonderful camera that by no means needs to only be handled by a highly skilled professional of 100 years or what not. If anything, I feel it has raised my game BECAUSE it does require more discipline in your technique than other cameras but at the same time it's completely functional in the hands of my wife who has never used a dslr in her life. But before I get flamed by some, let me just say of course I know this camera is not being used to its true potential, therefore a P&S would be suffice, I'm just saying that for those who want to make the jump, its not as scary as others make it to be. And in my case specifically, it's made me a better disciplined photographer.

Just my .02$

I am yet to get my hands on one, but the specs are pretty impressive. I doubt I shall be looking to upgrade though - the file sizes it produces will be a headache to work with and I certainly don't need the expense of a new super powerful pooter to handle them at speed!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Gwalion View Post
    I am yet to get my hands on one, but the specs are pretty impressive. I doubt I shall be looking to upgrade though - the file sizes it produces will be a headache to work with and I certainly don't need the expense of a new super powerful pooter to handle them at speed!
    That is a good point I wonder what size a 16 bit tiff will be; in fact I couldn't convert some panoramas from tiff to jpeg because of lack of memory in a 3.25GB machine.

Even though I'm a Canon user I'm mightily impressed with the D800, they say can print sharp up to A1 size; well I already do that using my humble 50D but I suppose at least A0 is possible with the D800 or greater than 48" x 32" possibly even life size.

So it might even get used by fashion photographers.

Real Name
    Chris

The specs look very impressive, although Nikon (UK) recent price hike, due to an 'administrative error' is a bit hard to swallow. I'm not sure I'm going to rush out to buy one any time soon, although I do have lots of old 35mm glass which is begging for the dust to be blown off.

Also, the D800e doesn't have the Moire Filter. Must be the only piece of kit that costs more and has less

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I think it is a marvelous camera; effectively the worlds cheapest medium format dslr. (controversial)

How much time have you spent shooting with it?

How much time have you spent shooting with it?

Real Name
    Darren

Even though I'm a Canon user I'm mightily impressed with the D800, they say can print sharp up to A1 size; well I already do that using my humble 50D but I suppose at least A0 is possible with the D800 or greater than 48" x 32" possibly even life size.
    I'll take a D800 any day of the week and the more MP the better for me. I have access to an HP FB700 flatbed printer that has a print area of 98" x 120". I typically upsample my images using OnOne Perfect Resize Pro just to get a nice 36 x 24 print to hang in my house. It would be nice to not have to upsample as much... or, even at all. My workaround lately is to make my own mega image via stitching.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post

I'll be happy to reply whenever I ever get the darn thing in my hands to try it. Ordered on Feb 7th and still waiting...

Real Name
    Mary

I know a photographer who got to try one. He posted images on his blog and they are amazing to say the least. His comment was that the autofocus was "slow". But the sharpness was unreal. Go to his blog at www.wmjhendersonphotography.com and look at his take on it. That said-- it's way to far out of my price range- but I can dream.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I suspect I will be buying new lenses long before I will be buying a D800. I have a D700 and sharpness of my 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 at anything over 200mm is less than the resolution of the sensor. Seems pointless to have better sensor then lens.
    Last edited by tbob; 18th April 2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: can't spell

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Picked mine up this morning. Wow. One caution: Delkin memory cards do not work in it. Had to exchange for Sandisk (more $)

Will post photos tonight.

Real Name
    Steve

Real Name
    Scott

Depends on whether you are on a Nikon website or a Canon one! Nikon sites are fairly certain Earth has shifted on its axis. Canon sites will keep carping on about how megapixels are meanless (above the 24 found in the new 5D Mk III anyway) right up until Canon unveils one with 40mp's or so in 12 months.

Maybe when it doubles again to 80 or 160 MP's, all lenses longer than wide-angles will be obsolete. Provided anyone would be happy photographing things the size of poppyseeds in the viewfinder, then blowing them up at home to see what it was they shot.