Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A misty morning in my campus

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    A misty morning in my campus

    I haven't got many chances to go out recently. So I more often walk around in my campus every week, and try to find something interesting. I took this shot 3 days ago when I found such heavy fog morning in my campus. I could not get the composition I wanted, so have to crop it afterward.

    A misty morning in my campus
    Last edited by Yan Zhang; 30th June 2009 at 10:58 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Hi Yan,

    It looks good, but I can't help thinking it would make more of a statement if you upped the contrast, saturation, and sharpening.

    Happy to give it a "Photoshop 30 Second Makeover" (TM!) for you, but would be nice to have a higher resolution version to work with (if your interested).
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th July 2009 at 04:49 AM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Colin,

    Thanks for your comments. I have a 14 MB jpg file, but I don't know how to send it to you?

    Yan

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Colin,

    Thanks for your comments. I have a 14 MB jpg file, but I don't know how to send it to you?

    Yan
    Hi Yan,

    A RAW file would be even better, if you have one.

    Easiest way to send a file of any size is to pop along to www.sendthisfile.com - and create yourself a free account. Then upload the file, but specify your OWN email address as the destination - and then just copy/paste the link it sends you into a PM to me here.

    Easy eh?

  5. #5
    CNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    731
    Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    The image has a very peaceful feel. Colin may be right...I normally go for a bit more drama in an image but the subdued atmosphere could end up being the best presentation for this particular scene. Try doing a version as Colin suggests and compare. I sometimes make more than one presentation of an image because in PP we can suppress or enhance various elements or attributes to produce more than one good image from a single photograph. Perhaps it's just because I can't decide which version I like best.

    Chuck

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Colin,

    I have the raw file, will try to do as you suggested.

    Chuck,

    Thanks for your comments. I usually only produce one jpg photo from a raw file. Probably in the future I should do as you suggested.

    Cheers,

    Yan

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    How'd I do?

    A misty morning in my campus

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Colin,

    This is really nice, and I never thought of this composition as I always considered the
    reflection. It seems I should consider this panorama style.

    Many thanks,

    Yan

  9. #9
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,036
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    It is nice I agree, but I do wonder if Colin's spectacle frames are also this aspect ratio

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    It is nice I agree, but I do wonder if Colin's spectacle frames are also this aspect ratio
    Nah - this is a 2.5:1 - my glasses are 2:1

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Colin,

    This is really nice, and I never thought of this composition as I always considered the
    reflection. It seems I should consider this panorama style.

    Many thanks,

    Yan
    No worries Yan

    Why don't you copy what I've done, and then enter it in the monthly competition? (entries closing about this time tomorrow).

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

    Why don't you copy what I've done, and then enter it in the monthly competition? (entries closing about this time tomorrow).
    Colin,

    Thanks for your encouragement. I have copied the image. Can you let me know how and where to submit this for the monthly competition?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Colin,

    Thanks for your encouragement. I have copied the image. Can you let me know how and where to submit this for the monthly competition?
    Hi Yan,

    By "copied" I meant "copy the look" rather than "just copy the file" (so it's all your work) not sure if that's what you meant too!

    ... and then just post to this thread here, along with a note of which team your in (Team Canon for you), and your in

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    Re: A misty morning in my campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

    By "copied" I meant "copy the look" rather than "just copy the file" (so it's all your work) not sure if that's what you meant too!

    ... and then just post to this thread here, along with a note of which team your in (Team Canon for you), and your in
    Colin,

    Thanks for clarifying this. I misunderstood. OK, I have worked out my own version now,
    will submit it shortly.

    Many thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •