Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Black and White Flower

Real Name
    Jason

Black and White Flower

Hi,

I spent some time this arvo at the Botanical Gardens, this is one of my shots that I was happy with. I completely forgot to get the actual name of the plant, so I can not impress with big latin words . I think I am getting a grip on the SEP2 software. Any C&C welcome.

Cheers

J

Black and White Flower

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Black and White Flower

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    I completely forgot to get the actual name of the plant, so I can not impress with big latin words .
    Sorry, can't help you there, Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    I think I am getting a grip on the SEP2 software.
    Well done. It's great, isn't it. I found that the tendency is to go way over-the-top on the sliders when you start out with it, just because they're there and you can. But it once you learn to be more subtle with them - that's when your images begin to take off.

On the image above, I note that you were at f5.6 and 50mm. I thought the DoF might have been a bit deeper. Just shows that when you get up close, the DoF really starts to get a lot shallower.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th April 2012 at 11:22 AM.

Real Name
    Jason

Re: Black and White Flower

Hey Donald,

Thanks, yes I suffered the same when initially using the software, but have found that with just some minor ajustments the results can be quite good. I have really taken to using just the 50mm and working using manual mode for most of my photos now, I feel that it is really giving me a appreciation of aperature and distances and how it all works together, as well as the fact that the quality is quite a bit better than the kit lens.

Cheers

J