Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moon Shot - with or without?

Real Name
    Kevin

Moon Shot - with or without?

Some of you may find this interesting. After reading that a polarizer will improve contrast on moon shots I wanted to try it. A Hoya 48mm Linear Polarizer arrived today and the moon looked good tonight, so here it is.

This picture is without the filter.

This picture is with the filter.

Both are 1/30th shutter, ISO 100, and f11 using a Celestron C5. Had to refocus after adding the filter due to change in focal length, which should be the only variable between the two shots. To me there is not a lot of difference? Maybe with a full moon the difference will be more noticeable?

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Moon Shot - with or without?

Kevin, I see a small difference in the two. I also shot the moon tonite, with a couple sunsets. I really like your shot, I can seem to get detail in the edges but not the rest...still experimenting though.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Moon Shot - with or without?

Nice shots. To me the one without the LPL appears a bit more detailed but that could be due to its smaller size compared to the other.

With a full moon you will not gain detail but lose some as there is little or not shadow area to bring out the craters which you will get with an obliquely lit moon. Near full moon may work though.