Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Reducing dpi on my camera to 200 dpi (Sony Cyber-shot)

Reducing dpi on my camera to 200 dpi (Sony Cyber-shot)

I need to reduce the dpi to 200 on my Sony Cyber-shot. How do I do this?

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Reducing dpi on my camera to 200 dpi (Sony Cyber-shot)

Hi Texas Flute,

As a bit of novice, I find the question quite puzzling. I've never heard of any camera having a "dpi" setting, although I've never owned a Sony either. Perhaps you could clarify what you want to do?

Ted

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I would agree with the previous comment; cameras I have used were preset to either 72dpi or 300dpi. If I wanted to change the native resolution, I have to do in in Photoshop. That being said, 200dpi is a rather odd number. 300 dpi is common on higher end cameras and is used for print output while 72 dpi tends to be on lower end ones and targeted at computer displays or internet use.

I played with the quality settings on my camera; low, medium and high and the dpi never varied, even though the image quality (amount of compression) did.

dpi is something used by printers, not in digital cameras. Can you explain exactly what it is you are trying to do?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi there,

Changing that won't make ANY difference to the image quality produced or the file size.
    It is only a setting that may instruct/mis-lead devices further down the image processing chain and generally is somewhat irrelevant in the real world.

As others have asked; why do you think you need to change it?

For an accurate answer; which model Cyber-shot?

We work with first names here at CiC, please tell us yours and Edit your Profile to put it in the Real Name field and also add a Location - this helps everyone to help you.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi there,

Changing that won't make ANY difference to the image quality produced or the file size.
    The OP's question seems to be a hardy perennial! I googled sony cybershot dpi and got many hits, all saying much as the OP did and getting much the same responses.

One page did mention that Sony tags their image files with a dpi setting, hard to believe and highly confusing to noobs I would say.

Anyhow, this link offers a step-by-step solution and even honors the mis-use of "dpi" but with the proper caveat of course.

http://techtips.salon.com/change-dpi...meras-337.html

Meanwhile, the OP seems to have disappeared after only one post . .

Ted
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 1st April 2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: getting old . .